NAT Traversal, Proxy/Tor, DHT Network

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because it probably isnt allowed to open ports because of that. Not exactly µTorrent's fault in my eyes, unless you actually WANT it to bypass security on your OS.

yup not mu's fault, the thing is most of us r behing a common ipwhich is the nat.

bitcommet is the only software that works. With the fame of utorrent, as soon as it supports NAT traversal, its user base will increase even more.

EDIT by silverfire: Subsequent double-posted bump deleted =_=;;; Read the rules. Don't bump.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong? Depends on the situation. It allows people with no will to learn how their computer works to download faster ("i dont wanna port forward, it will make my computer get h4x0red").

In the other case, like chezy's perheps, there are people who CANT port-forward since they are limite by their <university\isp\insert-favorite-evil-do'er-here>.

• 2 weeks later...

NAT traversal and PHE would be good to have in µTorrent for those behind NATs beyond their control and those with filtering on the admin/ISP level.

But these have been suggested since so long ago, there is no sense in reviving a thread about it. ludde is looking into both, IIRC, and it looks like we'll get PHE first. (There are different methods of NAT traversal and it looks like it will be difficult to get it working without using more bandwidth on utorrent.com. :P)

• 4 months later...

NAT traversaly may be my [and countless others] only hope. My ISP doesn't allow port forwarding, not in the distant future. Also, wifi requires dynamic IP address, which really makes port forwarding impossible. T-T

whoo. talk about reviving an old thread. as for updates: µTorrent of course has DHT compatible with Mainline and BitComet. A joint-specification with Azureus for Packet Encryption (not only the header now, much more difficult to detect) has been implemented - and BitComet and KTorrent and others have switched to it as well. µTorrent has Peer Exchange. will probably never have Azureus DHT .... and NAT traversal is still in alpha (?).

• 4 months later...

I will as soon as my current torrents finish. AFAIK bitcomet cannot resume downloads that were started by other clients...

Also, anything I've downloaded with bitlord, I have to seed with bitlord instead of bitcomet, because bitcomet cannot resume those :S

If ludde is having technical problems implementing NAT Traversal, then is there a way to just make that specific bit of utorrent opensource? Or run a competition where any interested coders can try to code a NAT traversal bit into utorrent?

I'm not sure how coding in utorrent, (or indeed, coding overall) works, but is this possible?

The Limewire Gnutella client has NAT Tranversal and is open source and compartmentalized such that JUST the NAT Transversal part/s could be easily studied. From what I remember of the Gnutella network and NAT Transversal there, it worked really well.

...However it is coded in JAVA!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived