a moral question about the nature of copyright

zalmatra

if you copyright something globably..and then dont publish it another country...and use a format so that only your country can watch it...and never publish the content in another country...should you still reserve the right to sue when someone from another country gets ahold of that content?

there are ways around various data encryption...but this is a larger implication

also..what about content that was once published but there is no way to get ahold of it?

I say it's immoral - not to mention plain flat retarded business practice - for the companies themselves to be so fucking retarded. The issue is, if the people in that country were even capable of buying the stuff, they rightly would. Instead, companies are being retarded and - get this - actually suing people for selling their products to people. Now, these are links to a similar situation dealing with hardware, but software and media is much the same thing, only dumber. Oh darn, we can't watch this movie in the USA? Err, wait what? Does it have horrible government secret messages embedded in it? =o

My $0.02.

valid point..please no cursing....it does detract a bit from my initial point. copyright was as far as i know never meant to allow you to sue something for buying your product and reselling it. should copyright protect media from being distributed if it is not available for purchase and the publisher has no intention of publishing it in your country.

I think somewhere along the line people forgot one of the most important reasons for CR., to protect the little guy.Capitolism has completely devoured the american dream. It took a race with our russian comrades to get us to the moon. And then what? "Oh great show! We showed the russians whos boss!!" and then it was time to go home. That was it, one of our greatest accomplishments as human beings was simply a show of superiority. Then that was that. Shows over. Nothing to see here.

Now I know weve had Apollo and Skylab. And more recently mars rovers and the ISS but if we had held on to some of those dreams of accomplishment Sub orbital flights and such would be commonplace at this point in our history. It really unnerves me that fear and greed are the ideals of many of the great countries on our planet. We have become complacent and docile. As long as things run smoothly and we are comfortable and feel safe we dont bother to make the extra effort or the sacrifice that comes with furthering our knowledge as a species. We have become imprisoned by the very ideals that our ancestors fought to uphold. Solar power? definately possible...a cheap and clean source of energy? fer sure. Do we have the technology?Of course....but until we can break free of this endless trail of money, it will be the politicans,the billionares and their interests that dictate the way of the world. And frankly, that scares me. Noone knows for sure why man walks the earth.,but we have been given this precious gift of soul and consiousness, and regardless of anything else human beings know right from wrong and good from evil. I do think its safe to say, if anything, that it may not be THE reason we are here, but dont we have an obligation to use the intelligence and wisdom we have been given to further ourselves as a species and at least try to quell the feelings of wonder and curiosity we've been blessed with by trying in earnest to grasp even a fraction of the meaning of our amazing lives???

bye

Copyright has been extended so far in nature in the USA that is regularly used as a legal club against those seeking to understand even the simplest tools they use. (DMCA)

The part of copyrights mentioned in the US Constitution talks about "for limited times", but copyright limits have been extended FAR beyond the length of most human's lifetimes. This will not encourage science or enrich the arts.

Scientists are publishing their findings in scientific journals only to discover they don't even have the rights to REPRODUCE the article they were key in making!

Copy machines, fax machines, even the personal computer as it is today would be impossible in the current marketplace in the USA. To ever reach the market, they'd be forced to cripple themselves and abide by whatever conditions the copyright overlords dictate. This is what essentially killed DAT (Digital Audio Tape) and numerous multi-GB capacity DVD-style disks...they couldn't secure the neccessary "rights" to begin releasing their products to the public at large.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived