Port question

Wench

Well, I've been using utorrent for a little over a year, and I've never had a problem with ports. I've forwarded it correctly and was doing fine, until this morning... When the status turned yellow. I've tried many things, changed the port, power cycled my router and modem, port forward again. And to no avail, nothing's working. Does anyone have any clue? thanks.

If anyone's wondering, my ISP is Comcast. Router is a linksys WRT54GS.

Wait... I just hit "Random Port" and tested it, and now it says it's open, but the status is still yellow, weird... I'm going to sleep now, I'll see how it is in the morning.

EXACTLY the same problem at the same time - yellow status and open port. No firewall issues and no system changes or any new programs at all. ISP - "Vinita", router - "TRENDnet".

Couple of days before everything was fine. And then yesterday I noticed yellow status and my old port appeared to be closed. Now new one is open, but I still get yellow color and miserable download speed (no incoming connection).

But the weird thing is that my brother on another PC (we are on router) gets green status and normal download speed. We are using different ports.

Any help would be appreciated...

maybe your bro sucks all the bandwith for himself, making your instance of µT left with so little.

If you are 2 guys torrenting on one line, you boht must at least set up your µTs to only 50% of what your line is capable of.

E.G: your uplaodline is 512kb then you both can not choose xx/512 but only 256 if you both want to use the line at once.

Chm, you see, I am not very adept at configuring such things. As far as I understand, my computer IP is still the same that is forwarded on router. At least IP adress at "cmd > ipconfig" matches the one that is marked in virtual server list near that forwarded port I am using.

And I'm sorry, but i dont know what is and where to use that "CTRL + G" command. Could you explain a bit, please?

Thanks in advance.

Umm... okay, I've just forwarded another port and finaly got green status. So I guess I'm fine for now. But still, I would like to know what could possibly go wrong. Well, I hope that was first and the last time with this problem.

Speed is still not very remarkable, but I guess that has nothing to do with utorrent client this time.

Thanks for all your help.

does it only "seems" not to be open, or isn't the frowarded port in the router actually not open anymore?

As i said, jsut because the light is yellow instead of green does NOT necessary mean that the port isn't forwarded anymore!

and if you have set up a static IP for your PC and created a forwarding rule in your router to it, this rule will not vanish on its own unless your router has some defect.

Well, interestingly, I got it working for a day when I cleaned and rebooted everything (save utorrent itself) I wiped the router, set new network, IP's, ports, new fire wall rules and protocols, and forwarding...

But now it's not working again, and as a test, I didn't touch anything, but it still went down.

I agree with some others, it might be the new update, I've never had problems with Utorrent until the new build. My CISCO instructor would probably fail me if he found out I couldn't fix a torrent client...

Archived