I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug or not, but...

GoatChild

I'm downloading a torrent that's limited by the seed at the moment. That is, only one seed, and only 25% of the file has been distributed to other clients. The seed seems to like me, and I've been downloading from it for most of the past couple hours. Every time I check (Well...with two exceptions), I've been downloading a piece with availability >= 2 from the seed.

I think that your piece selection algorithm's behavior could be improved in this sort of situation. It's nice to pick pieces with multiple sources early on (Or pieces already being downloaded), just so you have something to share, but once you have enough pieces to have something to share, should focus more on rare pieces; as it is, I'm just wasting the seed's bandwidth.

Great client, by the way.

• 1 month later...
Because you mostly download from other peers who DON'T have the rarest pieces. The lone seeder has very limited slots and you'll rarely be able to get data from him.

I am constantly downloading from the lone seed. In fact he has sent me the third most data of all peers. I still download rare pieces very seldom, maybe 1/20 is a rare piece.

Archived