uTorrent disconnects wc3

MorteM

When someone in our network is using utorrent I disconnet from battle.net in Warcraft 3 (NOT WoW). We have two computers (and an xbox) behind an belkin router. With previous routers I've had some kind of firewall (not sure what it's called) that shuts down whenever there's too many connections, like when using torrents.

I'm all positive that it's not a port problem i wc3. I don't think it's a problem with too high upload either, cause it's capped at 30-40 kb/s with a 100 kb/s upload. When playing I don't get ping, it just randomly disconnects.

I would guess that utorrent sometimes uses the same port as wc3 (6112-6119), but then again I don't have much of a clue what I'm talking about.

Hope to get some help!

I would guess that utorrent sometimes uses the same port as wc3 (6112-6119), but then again I don't have much of a clue what I'm talking about.

You'd be guessing wrong for what the problem is.

Belkin routers have painfully low connection limits and other known problems that make them not recommended for use at all.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

Ah, thanks mate. So if it's the number of connections that's the problem, I'll try lowering it. Anything else than testing my way in the number of connections? (are there any guidelines)

edit: tried lowering it to 50, still disconnects.

Sounds low to me compared to 600 being standard, could it really be that bad?

MorteM said:

"edit: tried lowering it to 50, still disconnects.

Sounds low to me compared to 600 being standard, could it really be that bad?"

Actually, 600 connections at once is excessive for anything less than 1 megabits/sec UPLOAD bandwidth...which likely has 10 times as much download bandwidth.

Did you incorrectly use your download speed to choose the Speed Guide (CTRL+G) setting?

I had the 600 connections as standard, my roomie had 200 connections standard. We tried lowering his connections to 50, capping the speed at 30 and it still disconnects (with me not using utorrent at all). Don't tell me I have to close down every program that use internet connection?

At home I have 8/1 (8mbit down, 1 mbit up). Here we have 24 mbit/s down, but still 1 mb up. So it wouldn't be a bad number if the router didn't mess it up.

This is annoying.

Ok, extreme restrictions on µTorrent might help.

Disable in µTorrent these items:

UPnP, DHT, resolve ips/show country flags

Make absolutely sure your router's UPnP and DMZ are both disabled. Also don't forward UDP packets...only forward TCP packets for µTorrent. (DHT uses UDP, so if not using it...you don't need it.)

Even still, you'll probably need to restrict total connections to 50!

How many connections does War Craft 3 usually make at once? 1-3 per player in the game?

Archived