Windows Vista and utorrent. "Error access denied"

bwishkey

I am not a computer wizard by any means and a response in non technical terms would be great. I am running windows vista and utorrent 1.6.1 and ever since getting the new version of utorrent I start to download a torrent and after a minute or 2 the torrent stops and a message comes up saying "errorr Access is denied". I have tried the suggestions on the trouble shooting guide. I am not running msn desktop and I have scanned my hard drives to find a diskio_flush file to no avail. I am getiing really frustrated. Will anyone please help me?

I am having almost the exact same issue....repeated "process cannot access file" messages....i'm fairly new to utorrent, but i was able to puzzle through all the suggestions in the faq with no success (no google or msn desktop, i use firefox, not explorer, and i turned off file indexing. or at least, i'm pretty sure i did. antivirus also not an issue)

I can't pinpoint where the snag is, but three days ago i was using WinXp, WinMedia10, and the version of utorrent immediately before the new release a day or two ago. i experienced no problems whatsoever, and my speed was frequently 80kb+

With a new computer two days ago came Vista and WinMedia11 and the new version of utorrent. thus my trouble pinpointing the origin of the error message.

however, i've found the following:

1. i have no difficulty downloading flac files.

2. i have no difficulty downloading xvid files.

3. speed has been reduced in both cases, however

4. mp3 generate the same error message every time "process cannot access file...being used by another program"

5. the mp3 downloads are interrupted at random points, and simultaneous download attempts are not stopped at the same time.

any insight to this issue would be appreciated.....

thanks

I also have the same problem, some help would be great...I just did a clean install of Vista home basic, then downloaded the recent copy of Utorrent, and I receive the same "error access is denied" when I try to continue downlaoding a torrent that I have 23.9% already done... I had a copy of utorrent on my windows XPmedia center edition and had no problems with it at all!

I run on Home Premium. Utorrent used to work fine on my old operating system but the random error occurs since I got my new PC with vista, i can continue the download straight after but its just a pain having to keep starting it again. I've had to resort to using azureus for the time being until someone is kind enough to help.

• 2 weeks later...

right i have worked out that if your using vista, you need to make sure that you do not have your download directory on the root of c: (if c: is your primary drive)

(ie. set your download directory to "c:\users\yourname\downloads" and not "c:\foldername")

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve had this problem for a couple of weeks and I`ve finally been able to pinpoint my problem. This only happens when I download music.

I was playing around with processes until I found the one doing it. This may only be a problem to a very few amount of people. When I bought my computer with Vista, it came preloaded with a Roxio program. With it, it ran 3 Rox processes that somehow interfered with the music I was downloading. I shut off all 3 Rox processes and things are going smoothly now!

I`ve had this problem for a couple of weeks and I`ve finally been able to pinpoint my problem. This only happens when I download music.

I was playing around with processes until I found the one doing it. This may only be a problem to a very few amount of people. When I bought my computer with Vista, it came preloaded with a Roxio program. With it, it ran 3 Rox processes that somehow interfered with the music I was downloading. I shut off all 3 Rox processes and things are going smoothly now!

This worked for me!! Thanks, you're a real life saver.. =) Darn those Roxio progs.. actually had to patch some drag and drop feature from it before as well, to get my Vista going smoothly.. tsk.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

davewilliams05 => Thanks a mill for identifying problem, this was driving me mad.

It seems the Media Player was monitoring my default directories e.g C:\User\*.* where uTorrent saves downloads by default. The simplest way to solve this was to change the directory that uTorrent downloads to e.g. C:\uTorrentMusic\

Archived