U torrent Shuts down My PC Causes a "STOP" error.

nebz

I have read all the FAQ. Not running any of the incompatible software. Have a Brand New PC w/ 2 GB of RAM Cable internet connection. when 3 or more downloads are active my PC shuts down and gives me an error message. the message tells me to disable shadowing or caching and also tells me to uninstall any new software. i went in to memory and shut down reccomended programs/processed with no result . this is causong my system to crash frequently

SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME !!!!! this is jsut very frustrating any advice would be appreciated.

Below i ahve included the text file from process explorer

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System Idle Process 0 90.91

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a 5.30 Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4

smss.exe 832 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 880 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 904 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 948 0.76 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1136 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

BTStackServer.exe 4092 Bluetooth Stack COM Server Broadcom Corporation.

svchost.exe 1200 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1344 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

btwdins.exe 1368 Bluetooth Support Server Broadcom Corporation.

LBTSERV.EXE 1392 Logitech Bluetooth Service Logitech Inc.

svchost.exe 1468 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1696 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

ccSetMgr.exe 1876 Common Client Settings Manager Service Symantec Corporation

ccEvtMgr.exe 1904 Common Client Event Manager Service Symantec Corporation

spoolsv.exe 244 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

AOLacsd.exe 464 AOL Connectivity Service AOL LLC

DefWatch.exe 488 Virus Definition Daemon Symantec Corporation

ehrecvr.exe 516 Media Center Receiver Service Microsoft Corporation

ehSched.exe 536 Media Center Scheduler Service Microsoft Corporation

IAANTmon.exe 624 RAID Monitor Intel Corporation

MDM.EXE 724 Machine Debug Manager Microsoft Corporation

nvsvc32.exe 784 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 82.68 NVIDIA Corporation

svchost.exe 1304 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

Rtvscan.exe 1324 Symantec AntiVirus Symantec Corporation

mcrdsvc.exe 1616 MCRD Device Service Microsoft Corporation

dllhost.exe 3876 COM Surrogate Microsoft Corporation

alg.exe 1480 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation

lsass.exe 968 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

explorer.exe 472 0.76 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

stsystra.exe 3072 Sigmatel Audio system tray application SigmaTel, Inc.

IAAnotif.exe 3096 Event Monitor User Notification Tool Intel Corporation

DMXLauncher.exe 3128

LBTWiz.exe 3152 Bluetooth Services Logitech Inc.

DLACTRLW.EXE 3160 Drive Letter Access Component Sonic Solutions

issch.exe 3180 InstallShield Update Service Scheduler InstallShield Software Corporation

ccApp.exe 3212 Common Client User Session Symantec Corporation

aolsoftware.exe 3232 AOL America Online, Inc.

ctfmon.exe 3568 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation

BTTray.exe 3724 Bluetooth Tray Application Broadcom Corporation.

DLG.exe 3744 Digital Line Detection BVRP Software

SetPoint.exe 4028 Logitech SetPoint Event Manager (UNICODE) Logitech Inc.

KHALMNPR.EXE 652 Logitech KHAL Main Process Logitech Inc.

Azureus.exe 3176 1.52 Aelitis

ping.exe 2764 TCP/IP Ping Command Microsoft Corporation

firefox.exe 1056 Firefox Mozilla Corporation

procexp.exe 2708 0.76 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

waol.exe 3532 AOL Software AOL, LLC.

shellmon.exe 3052 waolmon AOL, LLC.

utorrent.exe 2372

Friend & I are having the same problem since we upgraded to v1.6.1. No incompatible software as detailed in the FAQ.

The system could crash at any time, not when a specific program is used while files are downloading. If I'm lucky, I can repair Win XP. But system will crash after a while. I had to reformat my harddisk four times already, not to mention, repair Win XP countless of times.

this is the error that windows gives me. my girlfriend was supposed to write down but of course that pig didnt do it. gotta wait till tomorrow till i get the error again ..

the real error that appears ona completley blue screen i will write it down word for word and post it tomorrow

Follow these steps to solve the problem with a device driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Troubleshooting is available that might help you solve the problem

Troubleshooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on which situation is applicable to you, do one of the following:

If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your computer, the problem might be caused by the device driver. Use the Driver Reset Tool or uninstall the driver.

How do I disable or uninstall a device driver?

Note: This may cause hardware devices to stop functioning.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. If you are using Classic View, click Switch to Category View.

Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

Click the plus sign (+) next to the faulting device. You should now see the device listed.

Right-click the device, and then click Disable or Uninstall.

Alternate Steps

Click Start, and then click Search.

Choose All files and folders, and then type the driver name in the All or part of the file name field.

Click Search.

When the file appears in the results, right-click the file and click Rename.

Rename the file (for example, filename.old). Remember the file name so you can enable it later if you need to.

If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. Try uninstalling the software.

as soon as i posted it happened again here is word for word the Screen that appears when my computer shuts down

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you have seen this message, restart your computer.

If this screen appears again follow these steps

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for windows updates you might need.

If problems continue disable or remove and newly installed hardware or software, disable BIOS mem options such as caching or shadowing, if you need safe mode…….press F8 blah blah…

Technical Information

***Stop: 0x0000000D1 ( 0x00000006, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xB9D56504)

*** NDIS.sys Address B9D53000

Date Stamp 41107ec3

Beginning Dump of Physical memory

Physical Memory Dump Complete

Contact your system administrator or tech support for further assistance

hello...i am having a similar problem...getting the same blue stop screen as nebz...have to wait a min to get the actual error code...but i would like to say i haven't changed, installed, or plugged in anything new....it was working fine before the update of utorrent...but ever since i installed the new version i have been getting the blue stop screen...will post error when i can(i believe it said something to the nature of ioastore.sys)...

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten different error messages.

1) blue error msg with Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

2) blue error msg with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA).

3) "You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer."

4) Win XP unable to load because it's missing ntoskrnl.exe and wants me to repair

This happened after I upgraded to v1.6.1. Since then, I've reformatted the PC & repaired Win XP countless of times. Ii get these automatic shutdowns at least twice daily. If I'm lucky, the PC reboots. Then runs for a few hours before it happens. Then reboots. If I'm not lucky (like today), it'll take like 2 hours before the PC is able to restart.

Is there something I can check to see what's really the problem? I'm a total newbie so please bear with me if I dont get it right the first time.

No specific files mentioned.

Actually since I last wrote, I've gotten more of these BSOD with different faults

5) MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

6) PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

7) BAD_POOL_CALLER

8) Win XP unable to load because kmixer.sys is corrupt and wants me to repair.

A friend of mine had the IRQ error with a Wireless USB wifi adapter. So that leads me to believe that using USB network devices should be avoided if posible I guess. Especially in combination with µtorrent.

STOP errors can be caused by a LOT of things. Important for these errors are all the 0x00000000 strings you get with them. You can google those and there are some MS pages about different causes of STOP errors depending on those strings.

Afaik BAD_POOL_CALLER could indicate RAM problems (or some software is messing up enough to make windows make mistakes in using the RAM) I'd advice MemTest86 to exclude it is the memory.

I've had machine-check_exception in combination with BAD_POOL_CALLER too so it might be the same problem underlying those two errors. I never seen PFN_LIST_CORRUPT though.

This can only be even remotely relevant to µtorrent if ALL errors happened while µtorrent was running. If you had BSOD's while µtorrent wasn't running its extremely unlikely µtorrent has anything to do with it. If all µtorrent was running during all BSODs it doesn't mean µtorrent is at fault. For example its intensive usage of your network card and hard disk might just trigger a underlying problem that normally doesn't get triggered. I've heard 1.6.1 is a lot more intensive then the previous version and that might even explain why these problems have only know propped up.

Anyways try the memtest86, get us those 0x00000000 codes and do a bit of research with them yourself first.

I know it seems like we act like µtorrent can't be the cause of any problem at all but before we (as a community) put in any effort (and with BSOD this often means a LOT of effort and thus a lot of our free time and if it isn't µtorrent we aren't gonna find the problem...) we just want to be sure it IS µtorrent. And in a lot of situations µtorrent being responsible for certain problems is very unlikely because it is a fairly simple program that doesn't nest deep in your system at all and doesn't use much functions and hardware. And besides that you both have the same problem seems like it means much but the other thousands of µtorrent users don't seem to have it...

BSODs can't be caused by usermode software (like µTorrent) anyhow. Usermode software can be a catalyst that uncovers problems with the lower-level stuff (hardware, kernel, drivers, or what-have-you) that cause it to crash/BSOD, but by that point, it's a more fundamental problem with the lower-level stuff that's causing the BSOD, and not the usermode software.

I am also getting this message time and time again and it is driving me mental.

So far I have tried changing my ram and all sorts of things.

the stop BSOD error i get contains this detail.

0X0000000A (0XC0000000, 0X00000002, 0X0000000, 0X0804DDA9)

It also states IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL at the top.

system:

HP Pavilion Pentium 4 2.2GHz 704 MB ram

Chipset

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge SiS ID0651 rev. 02

Southbridge SiS LPC Bridge rev. 14

Graphic Interface AGP

AGP Revision 2.0

AGP Transfer Rate 4x

AGP SBA supported, enabled

Memory Type

Memory Size 768 MBytes

Antivirus is AVG 7.5 and Adaware SE Personal build 1.06r1, Spyware doctor 3.1.0.312

firewall AVG 7.5.

I only seem to get the BSOD when utorrent is running. I was on 1.61 build 490 but i just rolled back to 1.6 in the hope that it would fix the problem but it didnt.

I have also started getting a windows has recovered from a serious error message upon boot up that relates to minidump.

I hope that tells you everything, please help!!!

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-6053684.html

Gives a lot of info on the different STOP errors.

Indeed IRQL thingy usually seems to be a driver issue. Try getting the most recent Network Card driver and see if it helps. If you are using a USB Network Device you might consider getting a normal network card. They are usually pretty cheap.

Windows has recovered from a serious error isn't really relevant. It pretty much only confirms you had a BSOD and windows had to shut down improperly.

Somebody please help me!

I continue to get this error and the BSOD whenever I use utorrent.

I can confirm it is not cause by my firewall/antiviral software, i do not have a virus or worm causing it and my ram is fine. I have tried changing my ram and updating my drivers and still no joy.

Please if anyone has any idea what i can do to mitigate this problem i would really appreciate it.

• 1 year later...

hello everyone

I am having EXACTLY the same problem as Egghead:

''I get these automatic shutdowns at least twice daily. If I'm lucky, the PC reboots. Then runs for a few hours before it happens. Then reboots. If I'm not lucky (like today), it'll take like 2 hours before the PC is able to restart.''

..except I have to wait a whole day for my pc to turn on again properly!

I have been working with my current Windows SP2 installation for +6months now without problems, and only until this week I connected the internet cable (after a year of abstinency :)

I use the connection almost exclusively to download torrents -I myself use BitTorrent 6.0.3 (build 8642)- so I'm guessing the problem is not exclusive to a single version of the program.

The last couple of days the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message has appeared while the only program I'm running is BitTorrent. And like I said the pc goes mental (the system won't even start and the pc starts trying to turn on without me pushing the start button!!!)

At first I freaked out horribly of course because the first thing that comes 2mind is of course a serious hardware problem.

But I've done some reading now over different forums and this problem seems to be a common one -kind of a relief!!

I'm not running any firewall so that can't be it. I've read the solution might be disabling system BIOS cache and lowering CAS latency. Well u all can try that and please let me know if it works

... generally driver problem :/ Is there no file referenced on the blue screen?

If your computer won't immediately reboot, it can also be something as simple as overheating... many computers auto-shutdown when they overheat. You will want to turn off automatic shutdown ON BSOD under the System Properties ON XP: (Win+Pause/Break) -> Advanced tab -> Startup and Recovery "Settings".

The weird thing is that prior to start using BitTorrent the same Windows installlation worked perfectly for many months. I have not installed anything lately (programs or devices). Of course without a P2P the pc doesn't stay on as much, though..

The tech guy thought it was overheating, too. But I have a Thermaltake case with 3 giant fans and the cooling fan on the processor seems to b working just fine. The auto shutdown thing has always been off. I'm worried it might b an electrical issue, but I find the coincidence very odd. I'll check the heat thing out further though thanx

Archived