ability to seed two of the same torrent at once

robmcw

i just tried to seed that same torrent in two places, i.e. it's associated with the same directory, and apparently this isn't allowed. i've found the ability to do this useful, and in other clients such as bitcomet it is possible to do. so i'd like that feature :)

used utorrent back when it had the problem reporting to the tracker and ran away from it but i'm back now :)

Perhaps he's talking about the case where you have a multi-file torrent that happens to include a file tracked by a different single-file torrent. For example,

torrent 1:

[specifics removed] Season 1 (folder)

-[specifics removed] Ep. 1

-[specifics removed] Ep. 2

torrent 2:

[specifics removed] Ep. 2 happens to be identical between the two torrents (same size, filename, and everything). Can utorrent run both torrents from one copy of the file? I know that Azureus can do it, but Mainline can't. Not sure if Bitcomet can.

sometimes i download a torrent from site x.

i want to continue to seed it on site x when i am done downloading.

i also, however, want to help seed on site y. possibly to get my ratio up on site y.

with bitcomet i could do this. but with utorrent i can't.

maybe this isn't a common practice but i do it :)

Perhaps he's talking about the case where you have a multi-file torrent that happens to include a file tracked by a different single-file torrent. For example,

torrent 1:

[specifics removed] Season 1 (folder)

-[specifics removed] Ep. 1

torrent 2:

[specifics removed] Ep. 2 happens to be identical between the two torrents (same size, filename, and everything). Can utorrent run both torrents from one copy of the file? I know that Azureus can do it, but Mainline can't. Not sure if Bitcomet can.

Man, I made up that show name :P

It is possible..

Just remember.. each site uses their own key for the torrent .. what you do is this..

Download the torrent from the new site. It will not download it again, if the files are the same.. It will do a check. and after finding out you have the torrent.. it will start uploading it..

You will be seeding it on two different trackers :)

If you feel unsure about the whole redownload thing.. make sure the torrent does not download at once.. then it will appear on hold in µTorrent.. make a force re-check of it.. and when you are sure, that it is be the same (torrent file will show as 100%). start the Torrent..

If the torrent from the new site has minor differences.. (sometimes a site has sfv and/or nfo and the other does not.. Stop the first torrent.. Start the new and when it starts to seed.. restart the old one..

It works.. Been doing it for some time now ;)

I also like doing this, in the past I have just copied the data into a different folder.

@Tatus

When the second torrent (from tracker 2) starts it will check the files you already have and find that the nfo/sfv files are different and will download the nfo/sfv files associated with the torrent from tracker 2. When you start torrent 1 again wont you be uploading invalid data (if someone is leeching the nfo/sfv files from you) cause torrent 2 has changed the files?

Or do you set all the files to "do not download/skip" when you add torrent 2 (so it doesnt modify the files).

The first Torrent will only have the files in its list, that you already had.. and as they are all there.. that tracker is happy and uploads the file as 100% complete..

If the new tracker has more files, it does not cause a problem.. If the new tracker has different files/filesizes.. Now then you have a problem..

From what I found out.. If tracker 2, had more files.. Tracker 1 needed to be put on hold, if you wanted to download the additional files.. After tracker 2 was up at 100% and seeding again. I could start tracker 1 again..

@infirmus If the sfv and/or nfo is present in both and indeed are different.. (which seldom is the case) marking it "Don't download" sure does work. I tested it with a small torrent as I wanted to know what would happen and I did not want to loose a big download.. If you are uncertain of how to get it to work. Get a small download and start testing :)

Edit: I also noticed another thing..

Often when "downloading" from tracker 2. if there are additional files. the last file in the torrent, just before the new files will show as (somewhere between 96% and 97%) complete... Even though the files are 100% identical.. I do not know what causes this, but I normally just let it download and after it has completed, I can (so far no problems) start seeding at tracker 1 again.

i think this is getting a bit of topic here, atm i can't test this myself but from the original post where he said the operation isn't allowed i'm guessing utorrent won't let him seed with torrent #2 the files that are open in torrent #1 for seeding. (let me know if i'm wrong)

about the suggestion of adding the other tracker url in a different tier, even asuming the two file sets are exactly the same (no different .sfv .nfo files) will this work when the two torrents have different block sizes (--> different hashes) ?

@HellRezor. Not off topic here I think.. what the original poster said was.. That he cannot add the tracker to the same torrent for seeding 2 places.. And that is correct.. you cannot do that.

But you can use the files from 1 directory. Have the torrent tracker from 2 sites and seed to both at the same time.

i can't test this myself but from the original post where he said the operation isn't allowed i'm guessing utorrent won't let him seed with torrent #2 the files that are open in torrent #1 for seeding. (let me know if i'm wrong)

Yeah might be what he is saying, I know i've tried this with another client (BitComet?) and it doesnt work.

about the suggestion of adding the other tracker url in a different tier, even asuming the two file sets are exactly the same (no different .sfv .nfo files) will this work when the two torrents have different block sizes (--> different hashes) ?

I dont think its possible for two reasons

1. Different pieces (and their hashes), from having slightly different files, or from having different peices sizes

2. The torrent wont be recognised on the tracker which you add, because its got a different hash or id or whatever it is (edit: this only applies to private trackers, which we are mainly talking about in this topic I presume)

Archived