utorrent isnt downloading whole file...

charlie_fong

when i finish downloading a torrent and it actually says 100% complete, i launch the application and usually i get errors and what not. i just found out that im missing some files. seems as if utorrent isnt really telling me the truth :(. well its not utorrent but other clients too. the way i get around this is if i download the file, and launch the same torrent on another client and make sure its the same directory save as utorrent, so it will inspect the file. it will then tell me that its only 97.8% or 99.6% etc and then downloads the rest of the file. then voila!! it works!! so my question is...WHY THE HELL DOES IT DO THAT?!?! i know utorrent can check the files over and see if its REALLY complete. so how can i go about doing that? or maybe there is something else wrong...

Chances are, you have hostile software that is modifying your downloads.

Stuff like Winamp may be trying to "correct" the MP3 tags on both MP3 and AVI files alike.

You need to find out what's doing that and disable that feature or remove it.

...either that or your hard drive is experiencing occasional faulty reads/writes and it's about to completely die. Have you run a scandisk/checkdisk on it lately?

ah...my hdd is fairly new. i dont have winamp or any other malicous or hostile software..i hope lol.

this is a new computer, all custom. i slaved my dvd rw with my hdd. many ppl dont reccomend it and i dont know why, but could it be interfering with my torrents?

Even if you're using both at the same time, it's unlikely for your DVD drive to cause a problem unless your download speeds are exceeding 1 MB/sec.

Windows Media Player 7 or later may also be inadvertently changing MP3 tags on MP3 and AVI files.

This happens to rar-files on my laptop, so no WMP or WinAmp can interfer?

On IRC they suggested hardware error, maybe the RAM? I've tested the RAM, seems to work just fine. Weird thing is that I often get errors on different rar-files. If for instance rarfile1 is ok, then I do a recheck and rarfile2 is corrupt. Then I redownload, and then rarfile1 is corrupt and rarfile2 is ok.

Any clue guys? Thanks for all help!

After a recheck I've tried setting "read-only"-attribute to the rar-files which were OK, but uTorrent complains and cannot proceed because of this, even though the read-only files are 100% and checked OK. I've had problems with this laptop before. This is my 3rd install (amd format) of Windows XP since November 2006. Previous problems include not being able to install for instance Flash player, Java runtime environment. Also many other smaller, but irritating problems which made no sense at all! I've got all updated drivers from HP, talked to HP chat many times but they just give me problem-specific solutions like "download JRE from java.sun.com blabla", which obviously dont work since I've tried that many times. Something is wrong with this laptop, but I cannot figure out why! I'm on my fourth year of my Master degree in computer science, so I have some knowledge to computers, but I cannot figure this problem out.

Firon:

You mean it might be broken? How can I check that? I've runned some tests on the harddrive before, it returned no errors. I've also runned MS checkdisk, which found some problems, but the problem was still there after running it.

charlie_fong:

Thanks! So do I! :)

wow seems like ur in a hell of a situation. maybe it has something to do with ur memory stick? some guy increased voltage from the stick from 1.8v to 1.9v and for some reason that fixed it. but of course that might not be the problem. and i dont think overclockin anything on laptop is safe. and since u have reformatted so many times i guess its not the OS, maybe a hardware problem. or software related problem, but of course i think u already know that. ur problem puzzles me. if force check cant fix it then i dont know what can. u said it does a force check but then 1 is ok and then the other sux and redownload and then the first one is screwed up and the 2nd one is good. does this happen to all ur torrents? i remember i had one where i got nothing but bad files from a peer i guess. it would tell me i was 100% complete, but then i do a force recheck and it goes back 99.8% then i do a force recheck again and same thing. did it over and over again for maybe 10x and finally it read 100% and to make sure i did another recheck and it was 100%

really hope someone can help ya on this man.

good luck

Archived