so utorrent can only Dl very new popular files?

razzy

i tried to dl 3 movies a couple of days ago, and none of them even budge ( 0 k/bs). But then i switch to bitspirit and the speed was blazing. I was getting 200s++ k/bs on each torrent. I really like utorrent, but i cant seem to dl alot of things.

im on a college lan network' date=' do i still need to portforward? ( i don't use any sort of firewall).[/quote']

be sure to check with your college IT admin and let them know what movies you're downloading.. i'm sure they don't mind at all.

:) :) :)

He might request you to get him some too.

I have a "Network O.K" message and it is hit or miss as to whether or not the torrent is going to get good down or up speeds. Yet I can start up BitTornado and max my bandwidth both up and down in moments.

Bad-a-boom Bad-um ching Bad-a-bam! ;)

Inac

umm.. you can't put images in your sig, so your image link is out of place.. and having your BF2 stats on here is kinda silly..

oh and you should try bf2s.com. :)

I have a "Network O.K" message and it is hit or miss as to whether or not the torrent is going to get good down or up speeds. Yet I can start up BitTornado and max my bandwidth both up and down in moments.

Bad-a-boom Bad-um ching Bad-a-bam! ;)

Inac

umm.. you can't put images in your sig' date=' so your image link is out of place.. and having your BF2 stats on here is kinda silly..[/quote']

Ah but you see, at one point in time you could, and I haven't been here since then, so I didn't know they disabled it! lol....consider it gone momentarily. Nice site, a lot popping up that are new.

Though, BF2 stats are just as silly as a slew of other things that people like to share. :)

@ Cold, I have changed my settings....lots, and still no go. Which is besides the point, because any client that hopes to get mainstream, shouldn't need to be properly configured and tweaked first. BitTornado is running default everything except port information. uTorrent needs to be able to boast the same, or a LOT of people are going to be turned away from the "hassle" of having to tweak.

Like trying to remove lag from CS:S...you have to fiddle with a minimum of three console commands to get your game running right on a per server basis....most people don't care enough to do that, and then some are anal about it and say that is the only answer...instead of fixing the program. ;)

Inac

I posted about this exact thing in another post....for me the tweaking was more than worth it, for some it may not be....you can have what you want, the question is what price do you want to pay??...for me it was a couple days dling various torrents and experimenting and now I have no problem maxing my bw all the time with µTorrent. For some that may be too much hassle and I understand that totally. But for some to blast the client because it dosent do what you want it to dosent seem to be very fair. There is tremendous potential in µT, emphasis on potential. Takes some work to realize it but for me anyway the results were worth it. Im sure there are others that share my opinion. Im positive there are some that dont. Either way you get what you work for. We all were nubs at one time or another, someone always is climbing that ladder. Spend some time tweaking. And im not talking about 10-15 minutes. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results. This post is not aimed at any particular person, should anyone think about starting a flame war. No time for that krap. Just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

I posted about this exact thing in another post....for me the tweaking was more than worth it, for some it may not be....you can have what you want, the question is what price do you want to pay??...for me it was a couple days dling various torrents and experimenting and now I have no problem maxing my bw all the time with µTorrent. For some that may be too much hassle and I understand that totally. But for some to blast the client because it dosent do what you want it to dosent seem to be very fair. There is tremendous potential in µT, emphasis on potential. Takes some work to realize it but for me anyway the results were worth it. Im sure there are others that share my opinion. Im positive there are some that dont. Either way you get what you work for. We all were nubs at one time or another, someone always is climbing that ladder. Spend some time tweaking. And im not talking about 10-15 minutes. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results. This post is not aimed at any particular person, should anyone think about starting a flame war. No time for that krap. Just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

well said, morpheus.

I don't mind tweaking. I actually enjoy it. There are many others like me. And there are many others that don't like it at all or don't know how.

If uTorrent wishes to become a mainstream client it should cater to both audiences. It is not an easy task but that is the way the user base is. This is a challenge with any software, you see it all the time. How to be powerfull enough so you please the heavy user and still simple enough so the technofobes can handle it.

Finding better default settings is just one of the means to make it easier to use and provide those non-savvy users a quicker and painless way to start.

Having said that, I do not think razzy's problem is related to defaults. He's behind a college firewall and probably needs specific workarounds. Maybe protocol header encryption? Could lazy bitfield make a difference?

Archived