Suddenly Port not forwarded

Amateur

I have a Netgear DG834GT router, broadband line is provided by BT, Toshiba laptop with wireless connection, Norton Protection Centre, Windows XP and my windows firewall is disabled. I went to portforward.com and forwarded the appropriate port and have been happily using utorrent for about a month with a green tick in the NAT place. However, this morning I got a yellow triangle and then red exclamation mark and when I tested whether my port was forwarded correctly, there was an error. I went back to the port forward section and re-checked everything and green tick appeared again. Now I have the same problem and I have re-checked everything again with no success. Why is this and what can I do about it? I'd appreciate some help as I am newish to torrents and ports.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had set up a static IP but maybe I haven't done it properly. Since I last contacted you I accidently reset my router. When I set it back up again the green light came on for about two days but now I'm back to having these issues. I have a red light, when I check in the statistics screen I have no incoming connections and downloading is painfully slow. I'm still getting an error in the port forward despite following all the instructions. Could someone maybe give me a simple guide to setting up a static IP so I can check I've done this correctly

That's actually what I initially set the static IP up with. I rechecked it all again and hadn't set the right DNS so corrected and my speeds have improved slightly. But I've still got that red ! and my port is not forwarded correctly despite having followed the instructions on portforward for my router and I still have no incoming connections. I've also checked the firewall information on my antivirus protection and changed that slightly. I don't understand why I had the green tick for about 6 weeks when I first setup utorrent and then now I'm having the incoming connection issues.

I have just been reading some of the other posts for NAT errors (quite far on as I had checked prior to asking for advice) and tried enabling the uPnP mapping. I now have the green tick back. I was sure that in some of the guides it said to make sure it was off. Thanks for all your help anyway. It is appreciated

Archived