Stop a torrent if it's not registered anymore

zebulon

On certain private trackers, a torrent can be removed, because it's been leaked for example. When this happens, it's not registered anymore and basically, you seed for nothing (at least, it won't be taken into account for your ratio).

What whould be nice is an option to stop seeding a torrent as soon as µTorrent notices it's not registered anymore. Of course, it can't be hardcoded (and thus, mandatory). After all, everyone decides what to do with his bandwidth ;)

i did have a couple of torrents the other day that i got off oinks that were removed after about 2 hrs of me starting to download but i still continued anyway as there was a fair amount of peers. i wouldnt like it to stop automatically but if its an option u can enable then i guess it wouldnt be so bad.

Since I don't seed to increase the overall ratio, but to help distributing data

Yeah, but you gotta understand members of private trackers want to seed only to other members of the same tracker :) If you want to seed in a public place, then you do it separately.

Besides, even though a good ratio is not a goal in itself, if people want to increase it so they can leech later, it's their right...

This would be off-topic, but if a torrent is removed from a private tracker, the torrent still wouldn't be available to any other peers than were connected to the tracker at the time it's removed. So you would still only seed it to the members of that private tracker.

And as I said, I'm not against this and it's up to each and everyone to decide how to use BitTorrent. I might even end up using the autoremove too if it would be implemented.

If it was leaked, it wouldn't be a significant problem if it was a good private tracker. :rolleyes:

PID system, auto-ban a user's PID when more than 2 connections are used with that PID for leeching on the same torrent. Bam. :P

And enforce private flag to finish it all off, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with this request is taht it would be extremely difficult to implement. You couldn't just stop a torrent when a tracker comes back as inactive/offline, because some trackers are unresponsive. Some trackers are smart enough to send back an ERROR message saing "Unregistered" or something similar. I suppose uTorrent could have an advanced option to stop a torrent when the tracker sends back an ERROR message (rather than just no response at all).

Archived