Cache limited to 1GB?

astaban

Does utorrent has a problem with cache over 1GB? If I set cache at 1023MB it works fine for weeks and weeks. But if I set cache to over 1GB, like 1.5 or 2GB then utorrent crashes within minutes or at most 1h (if using more than 1GB of the cache).

I have 3GB so RAM isnt a problem. And it has been like this with every version I've tried.

I sometimes help seed ubuntu dvd's through bittorrent when new release comes out. Using 2GB instead of 1GB cache would probably lessen the strain on my harddrive.

Currently running utorrent 1.6.1.

Btw. Running 2 utorrent-sessions with 1023MB cache on each works fine. But a single session cant use more than 1GB.

Strange thing. If a try another less good program (none named none blamed. :)) it mangages 2GB. But I want to run utorrent. Not some shitty other program. So windows can handle the memory. But utorrent crashes even if I do a smaller setting at 1.3-1.4GB.

It can manage for a while. But always crashes.

As long as I keep it under 1GB it runs just fine.

Hehe it was just a random guess :P

I'm not sure how high other people have set their cache sizes, but I'm pretty sure other people have done the same (set the cache size beyond 1GiB), as many have asked for some way to store all the data in RAM (just as you have). I've never seen this complaint... Who knows, maybe some other people with insane cache settings can speak up too :)

I thought it would be a bug also. If you need anything from me please notify me.

Using over 1GB RAM for cache isnt (as I understand it) a very common thing. Though as I have 100/100Mbps it tend to stress my disks a little bit. And since some other countries uses slower connects I dont wanna set my upload to a slower rate or lessen the amount of slots. If I'm going to help seeding new ubuntu releases I want max speed when its new. So if I set total ul-slots to 10 or 20. I can end up with 20ppl with adsl 128kbps. That isnt good.

I know very little about programming. So thats why I ask. If some variable or such is flaud and only accept 1GB or such.

I Appreciate that you are seeing my error and care to move it to the right place.

---EDIT---

The error is a usual windows error. utorrent has cause a bla bla bla. Press.....

---------

Do you have any crash dumps (stored in same folder as the .exe)? It'd help to track it down.

Also, does it only happen when the cache is filled to that amount? Does it make a difference whether it's the read or write cache being filled to that much?

Its always read cache. Write cache is always done.

If I cache something I have already. as ubuntu dvd. Whenever it reaches over 1GB it cam work for a while. Even 1.2 or 1.3-4-5 and then it fails. Crash.

What do you require of me? If needs be. I can make it crash and paste that error message.

If the working directory for µTorrent is outside of its executable's location on disk, then do check the working directory. Instances of when this might be the case include when you run µTorrent from your browser or some other application.

• 2 weeks later...

I have same Problem . I have 4 GB DDR-II ram and when I use over 1023 MB ram for uTorrent cache , uTorrent will be very unstable . If i use 1.5 GB , it works 1 or 2 Hours . But if I set ram to 2 GB , It works only for few minutes and then .... CRASH .

I use Installed-Version of uTorrent. I even use standalone version but both of them are same .

Archived