slow download speeds - PLEASE HELP

switchblade

i know that many others have queried about their download speeds before, but can someone please help me out. i have 2meg broadband, and yet whenever i download anything regardless of how good the download/seeder ratio is i can never seem to get speeds exceeding 80kb/s. even if speeds reach up to that point they drop down drastically and then come back and so on. can someone please help me out to sort out this issue. my network is o.k., with a green light etc, but i still seem to be experiencing slow speeds.

regards

switchblade

switchblade,

You should limit your upload speed in µTorrent to 80% of the max for your connection.

Just run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and choose the CLOSEST speed from the drop-down box for your upload speed. It already factors in the calculations + 80% reduction for you.

NOTE: You do NOT have a 2 megabit/sec upload! ...it's probably only 384 kilobits/sec upload or less, so you'd probably need the xx/384k or xx/256k setting.

thankyou for your reply, i have now set my upload speed to xx/190kb/s but i still am facing the same problems as before, except i am now getting slower speeds than before (initially), then after quite a while speeds seem to increase to about 80kb/s at the most - which is quite slow considering my internet connection has allowed speeds to rise up to 240 kb/s.

How can a torrent download faster than everyone is uploading?

If you're only uploading at around 15-20 KB/sec, and most others cannot upload faster than about 30 KB/sec...then where's it supposed to get the 80+ KB/sec download speed?

Some people actually bother to seed the torrent after they finish downloading it...but there are also other people just joining the torrent who are downloading but for awhile have nothing to upload to anyone else.

Some torrents just have more fast uploaders on them than others...so if you got fast speeds in the past it may be due to that alone and have little to do with your settings.

You'll probably get better results from the xx/256k setting. Even that should be lower or equal to your max upload bandwidth.

Archived