uTorrent using IE's proxy without being told to

grug

Despite being set to "(none)" in the options, uTorrent is using the proxy I have set in IE7 for tracker communication, but seemingly only for torrents downloaded via RSS -- strangely enough the manually added torrents continue to connect correctly.

An obvious test is to set the IE proxy to something non existant (like localhost) and watch uTorrent fail on "Update Tracker".

This is with 1.6.1 (490) and Windows Vista.

What business does uTorrent have reading IE's proxy settings anyway?

I tried a different machine and fresh install of uTorrent. From what I can see it's got nothing to do with RSS, it was just a coincidence that that the one tracker I use for RSS happens to be HTTPS whereas my manual downloads were HTTP. I can still recreate the problem with HTTPS trackers though:

proxyos9.png

I'm not sure... The only guess I could come up with is that Vista uses Internet Explorer's proxy settings as some kind of a global system setting -- that wouldn't be all too surprising either, considering how deeply integrated IE has been with Windows since IE4... (Yes, Microsoft lessened the level of integration between IE and Windows in Vista, but I'm sure it still isn't entirely isolated).

• 1 month later...

It's definitely not a Vista problem -- I've reverted back to XP and it does the exact same thing.

Still occurs with XP and 1.7 b1137. Whenever HTTPS is involved it uses IE's proxy.

It's possible it's a bug brought about with IE7, have yet to try on an IE6 machine.

Archived