Port Forwarding

dataport

Have XP (firewall disabled), Linksys WRT-54G (brand new), to cable modem. Used IPCONFIG to set up port forwarding. BUT...can't get port forwarded (63238). Have set up the static IP on my PC/TCP-IP settings and the Linksys.

Each day when I use the UTorrent port test - it keeps saying that it's checking the port on a different ISP-DNS Server address. Yesterday it was 24.35.33.8...today it was checking the port on 24.35.33.163. Msg says the port isn't open.

Any idea what I need to do next to forward the port through my ISP?

No effect. I (think) my problem is the DNS Servers. When I do IPCONFIG, it lists two addresses (24.35.0.12 & .13). But...when I do the UTorrent test, it says it's checking the port on 24.35.38.163. Yesterday it was checking the port on 24.35.33.8.

Does my ISP dynamically allocate addresses to my cable modem?

OK. To recap: 1. XP firewall disabled. 2. Port 63238 (Enable UPNP unchecked). 3. Linksys WRT54G (192.168.1.1 - default gateway). 4. My TCP/IP settings set for 192.161.1.50 (Static) + DNS Servers per IPCONFIG. 5. Linksys set for (range) 63238 + 192.168.1.50 - Enabled checked.

It (looks) like my Linksys is blocking it - but I followed portforward guide correctly. I verified I have latest firmware for this model.

Port still blocked - anything else I might check? Instructions have been fairly straightforward, but can't get port forwarded.

...DUMMY ME....I had my Vonage adapator between my cable modem and WRT54G. I took it out and connected it to one of my router IP ports.....and everything came up like a dream !!! Thx for your help. My UTorrent speeds are fantastic.

BTW, I looked into the Ambit modem most cable companies use ( 192.168.100.1 ) and it comes factory default with security disabled. It was the Vonage (Motorola VT1005) that must have been blocking the port.

Again, thx.

Archived