ADSL2MUE problems with download speed

chrisjrice

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Linksys ADSL2MUE ethernet/usb modem. Since installing it i have had poor download speeds and a red icon telling me that router/firwall is limiting my network traffic and that i have to open a port. Also when i do a port test i get an error in detecting port message. I am using an ethernet connection and the modem is direct into my PC, not through a router. I am using a PPPoe configiration. There is no option to port forward as this is not a router.

I have disabled UnPn Port Mapping in UTorrent but it does not help. I have also opened the relevant port in my SP2 firewall and I also tried disabling it. I had a BT Voyager 105 USB modem before this and use to achieve download speeds of around 160 - 200 with no issues. I am now getting 10 to 12. I have scouted the forums but get nothing, i understand there might be firmware upgrades that allow me to port forward, but i dont understand why I have to do this on a modem direct to the PC which is not a router.

I get similar problems in Azereus as a NAT error.

If anyone can help then in anyway then please reaply to this post. If its a case of send the modem back and get something else then some recommendations would be most welcome. I replaced my Voyager 105 because of Vista Compatibility issues. I am about to cross over to Vista but need to get a modem that works first. I am only after something simple, i really dont want a router, just a good ethernet modem that works with torrents! :-).

Many Thanks

Chris

Does your USB modem also have an ethernet port you can use?

(If so, that would almost certainly work better.)

Your modem may have a mini-router and/or firewall inside of it that needs to be configured.

(read the manuals, go to manufacturer's website to find out if it does.)

Thanks, my voyager 105 usb modem is just that, a USB modem there is no ethernet. And BT are not releasing a driver for Vista so i cant use it in Vista.

Checked with manufacturer and there is no port forwarding and no firmware patch... so im at a loss. And i can't see whether there is a firewall.

i tried that modem,i was i wanted ethernet connection and not usb...and what a peice of crap it was

browsing was faster,but for the love of god,i couldnt get rid of the errors utorent were showing

everything i did still gave me a blocked port message

even with azureus,i got a nat error

i upgraded the firmware,which gave me more settings,and it did show a firewall,i messed about with for a few days,and still couldnt figure it out

here is the link for the firmware,make sure you use it properly,and flash it in the correct order

I cant even connect to the internet with it now,i guess i messed with it too much

if you figure it out,please tell of all your settings

now i am back on my speedtouch

http://esnips.com/doc/c54dcdcd-629b-4824-a28b-592dfbcd18bd/ADSL2MUE.rar

Seems a lot of people are having this issue. Thankfully i only paid £12 for it, so if i flash it and brick it, then its not to much of a loss. You mention your speed touch modem? is that ethernet? Even if someone can recommend an ethernet modem that can handle torrent clients then I will be happy.

Thanks for your replies, i will let you know if i am successful with the flash and settings? Did you disable the firewall on the modem?

Well Hursty i did it. I upgraded the firmware. I then logged into the modem settings, went to the advance tab and then into Port Fowarding. I clicked on the DMZ button and enabled DMZ. Now everything is green on Utorrent and Azereus!! And my super fast speeds have returned. Thanks loads for the firmware upgrade link.

Well i will have to try that,

but because i messed with the other setings so much,i dont know what i did,and i dont really know what i am doing

anyway of posting any screen shots?,would be a great help in re-configuring mine

blasted thing

Not sure if i can post screen shots in here but i can try.

Can you not just press the button on your modem that sets it back to it's default settings. You can then start over.

I did not do anything other than enable the DMZ option. Ive has PPPoe connection to the internet. I did not touch any of the other settings. I am sure you will be able to get the modem to reset to its default settings. I will have a look later. I am in the middle of building my new machine which will run Vista, so will not be back online until the weekend.

Let me know how you get on with resetting the modem back to it's defaults. If you manage to do it, then just click on the advanced tab, then port forward tab and then click on the DMZ hyperlink, you will see it on the screen. This will take you into the DMZ screen. Just stick a tick in the enable settings and apply. Then everything should work fine... well it did for me anyway :-).

Archived