How to increase number of swarms

jaelanicu

I think we can assume he's talking about increasing the size of the swarm. The swarm is the number of people running the torrent currently (PS µtorrent only has an estimation of the number of seeds and peers in the swarm) and the only way to increase it is asking more people to run it :)

DHT might get you more people running the torrent yes. This is especially useful for torrents whose trackers are temp down or dead.

@Ultima: I've read the uTorrent help throughly, so I know what swarm is.

Um... let me rephrase my question.

Does enabling DHT and/or updating the tracker allow us to find more swarms ?

I'm asking this because: what good are swarms when they are not accessible?

I have a Torrent which has 3 seed swarms, but only one that is connected. The others are not accessible (refused connection or timed out).

So I want to find other seeds that are accessible.

Swarms are groups of people (hello, it's plain English - swarms = people, makes sense). Every individual torrent is a "swarm" - a group of people using that torrent. Trackers, maybe, is what you are referring to? Trackers keep track of the swarm.

At any rate, if you want to increase the number of swarms (lol), download and seed more torrents. :P

>.>

The manual definitely doesn't describe peers as "swarms," and makes a clear distinction between the two...

Anyhow, to dance around the question a bit further, connecting to more peers (including seeds, for that matter) does NOT necessarily improve anything for you, so can you explain why you want to be able to connect to more? If the swarm contains very few peers/seeds, then chances are, it's a dying torrent that you're just going to have to wait a long time to complete, regardless of how many peers you connect to. Additionally, tracker scrapes could be giving inaccurate data, so there might not even really be 3 seeds on the swarm.

@Ultima:

More connection means more source of pieces. This of course, it is up to uTorrent to decide whether other user have pieces which I don't have yet. So it will speed up the download as long as it is within my network bandwidth.

You probably right. The torrent may be dying. Bummer...

But I think I'll keep searching.

It's too precious... ... precious... ... my precious... ...

Nuff said. This case is closed.

Archived