I cannot seed my own torrents very well

lousybutler

Here's my problem. I create a torrent that's 15 files and a total size of 249mb. I post it to my torrent tracker of choice and let it fly. Now, what's supposed to happen is that people connect to me and I upload to them and they upload to others, etc etc. I have a cable modem and currently (as I write this) I am downloading 2 torrents. One's downloading at 80kB and uploading at 50kB/s. I am connected to a few peers on that one. The other is downloading at 100 kB/s and upping at 25kB/s. I am connected to 200 peers on that one. Those aren't super fast speeds but they are pretty good and most importantly they are steady.

When I create the aforementioned torrent and seed it from my computer, I can't connect to anyone for more than 5 seconds at a time. The upload speeds are inconsistent ranging from 60 kB/s for a few seconds and then nothing for 10 minutes, then 30kB/s, then nothing. The peers that I can connect to flash for a minute then go away. Then they flash for a minute, I upload 100K and then they go away from the peer list.

Essentially what I am asking is what is the difference between torrents that originate from my computer from torrents that I am downloading. Because it seems like the only thing I cannot upload are my own torrents. I've tried making many different torrents and it's the same story. I am not behind a router either. I am connected to Cox through a cable modem.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Then Initial Seeding is probably working as expected... It shares a piece, disconnects from the peer, waits for another peer to connect, then repeats with a different piece. It does this all in the name of getting the full torrent contents out in the least amount of bandwidth. If your connection can handle fast upload rates, then Initial Seeding isn't of much use to you.

http://www.bittornado.com/docs/superseed.txt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_seeding

So I should turn initial seeding off and try this super seeding stuff?

It still just seems weird to me that I can upload someone else's torrent at 50k of constant upload speeds and my own torrents upload at an average of <1.5kB/s. It seems like there is something I am not doing and everyone else is doing to their own torrents.

You should just try REGULAR seeding rather than initial/super seeding. Initial and super seeding are the same thing/same behavior.

Cox ISP probably interferes with seeding, it's probably against their rules about running a "web server" on your computer.

Archived