uT hogging ALL of my bandwidth?

ThetaSigma

Hi all. I just had a quick question about uT.

I don't know if this is a uT problem or a BT problem in general. I'm on an 8Mb/s connection and no matter how little bandwidth is being used by uT, it acts as though it is using 100% of my bandwidth. This effectively slows all of my other internet-dependant applications to a crawl.

For example, I'm d/ling a 700MB file at 60KB/s. Theoretically I should have 964KB/s left available (8Mb = 1MB = 1024KB/s - 60KB). However, Firefox, IE, Office Outlook, etc. all slow to a crawl. Even if I was d/ling at 0.1KB/s it is still the same.

Can anyone explain this?

Quick specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2

uT v1.6 build 474

8Mb/s cable

Thanks,

ThetaSigma

and no, you DON'T set CTRL+G to 8MB. I guess a correct value might be more in the range of xx/512k to xx/1MB depending how fat your ISP is screwing you.

Edit: (after reading sparkys link)

whow, wasn't aware that cable can be so shitty in uploadspeed (128), and that those ISPs screw their Customers even more then i suspected! I love my DSL now. :D

Thanks for the reply guys.

@5parky Many thanks for that link. That explains a lot. I will definitely give it a try. What would you suppose a good setting would be in kB for a 64KB advertised max upstream? Minus 10-15%?

@µtorrent-Guest Actually at $35/month my ISP isn't screwing me at all lol. I have fiber optics all the way to the pole by my house. The last 20 feet or so is the only cable present in the line. My connection is advertised as 8Mb/512Kb but my actual line speed is a constant 9.76Mb/624Kb even during peak hours. Luckily, I'm also the only customer on the local node :-)

Archived