Low download speeds, please help

darkew

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing very low download speeds all of a sudden. Utorrent would easily download at 60K/s (which is pretty good for me), but now, seeing anything over 20K/s is becoming quite rare.

I've read the forums, tried speed guide and everything, but nothing seems to work, so here it goes:

- EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed below

Tried running speed guide, after running speed tests it's now set at xx/128

- Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

Green, all ports forwarded correctly and working.

- What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

All good.

- What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

Upload Limit: 10

Upload Slots: 3

Connections per torrent: 55

Connections global 50

Max active torrents and downloads: 1

Encryption enabled

- Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Vista

- Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

All vista stuff (defender, firewall, etc) and AVG Free 7.5

- Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

Dlink DSL500G

- ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Telesp

- Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload. Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection.

DSL, results: 950 download, 110 upload.

It's also choking my other internet activities, it gets really really slow even with low download speeds.

I tried lowering my UL speed to 9, but nothing. 10 used to work for me great.

On a side note, I used to be more of a leecher before, my ratio (before I started seeding the files, of course) would go as low as 0.3. Now they are 0.6, which indicate that, even though my UL speeds are the same, downloads have lowered.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Hi Ultima, thanks. I'll try and post results tomorrow.

I didnt try the suggested torrents as I'm downloading a very solid torrent (avail. 16999 with lots of seeds), so I don't think that's the problem.

Any other ideas are appreciated :)

Oh btw, DHT is disabled (forgot to include that on my first post)

Thanks!

Hi Ultima,

Not much difference here, pal. I can get peaks of 50 or even 60k sometimes, but generally, nothing over 20k, sometimes go as low as 5k...

My other internet activities seem to be working better though, perhaps because of the lower UL speed, not sure.

Any more ideas or info I can provide?

Thanks!

Try setting µTorrent's advanced setting for max half open connection max to only 2-4. (Your choice here, though higher may trigger problems.)

Windows Vista home version lowers half open connection max from 10 (that Win XP SP 2 allows) to only 5! But µTorrent's default value is 8, so overloads aren't just likely...they're EXPECTED! :o

• 4 weeks later...

You can set the half open limit to 1 in µTorrent and potentially 100+ ips could still connect to you, so long as your global max connections is set high enough to allow them all. However the rate your µTorrent seeks out MORE connections will be slower. The half open limit is how fast µTorrent tries new ips to find peers+seeds, not how fast others may be trying to connect to you via your incoming port.

The UDP protocol is ONLY used for DHT and has basically no effect on who can and cannot connect to you.

µTorrent being unfirewalled is almost the only thing that allows more ips from the tracker to connect to you.

If µTorrent's half open connection limit is set higher than Window's max, then there will be problems...potentially bad enough to crash µTorrent or even the whole Windows OS! But more than likely, network access will just be REALLY slow.

Archived