Email on completion (+ website update)

thing2b

The feature that I could wish for would be the in-built ability to send an email when a download is complete.

Oh and the other thing that would be nice is to have wine ( for linux ) mentioned on the downloads page (http://www.utorrent.com/download.php). I know it is in the FAQ, but it would make a nice comment on the downloads page.

=== Praise section ===

Other than KTorrent ( did not have KDE ), I tried every linux torrent program I could find ( including azureus ). The download speeds were crap and I nearly lost hope in bit torrent. utorrent + wine has given me a speed increase of 6 to 10 times what I was previously getting and a reason to upgrade my hard drive.

=== Praise section ===

• 5 months later...

The problem with that is you would need to add the program command-line to each torrent.

I use a sepreate PC to download torrents, which doesn't even have a monitor plugged into it. I copy .torrent files to a shared directory, and uTorrent on the other PC will grab them and start downloading.

To find out if a torrent is finished I have to Terminal Services onto that machine to check the uTorrent GUI. It would be nice to either have an SMTP emailer (which in all fairness is an easy task, SMTP is hardly a complicated RFC) or allow global run-application-after-finish feature.

The global run after finish feature could also allow an anti-virus scanner to scan a completed folder for viruses after a download.

Indeed, a global run-on-completion feature has been requested before, and having multiple applications run on completion (globally, serially) would also be a good idea if a global run is implemented (IIRC, it was requested before as well).

Having µTorrent do the mailing seems outside the scope of a BitTorrent application, honestly, and tinfoil-hatters would have one more reason to blame µTorrent for phoning home. There are plenty of simple, external, commandline applications out there for mailing, so a more generic "global run-on-completion" is the better solution, really.

Archived