While d/l memory leak

IronBlind

Hello

I using utorrent some weeks now, and have a huge problem when I'm d/l a torrent.

utorrent eats my memory with pleasure while d/l.

At the beging of the d/l it seems all ok, but after some minutes of d/l the memory goes from 250mb down to 35mb and only get to normal after finishing the d/l and I seed the torrent.

Is this "normal" or happend it only on my PC ?

By the way this PC is ONLY for inet surfing (no games).

Sorry for my bad english.

IronBlind

Some info on my System:

utorrent 1.172 (lastest Version)

Windows Xp1

AMD Duron 900

512mb memory

It's NOT A BUG! It's the Windows' system cache!

Search the forums, this has been discussed many times.

And set your diskio.write_queue_size to -1

you can't search the forum after your diskio.write_queue_size or -1,

guess that punBB's search engine is buggy.

found some info saying that -1 automaticlly sets the queue size,

but why use -1 instead of a static number?

You can search the forums for "memory leak". There's been more than a few threads about this, and they were locked because it wasn't a memory leak.

Why set it to -1? Because uTorrent knows how much cache it needs. :P

ok, nice to know. You should add this in the FAQ you made ;)

btw, search for memory leak gives 8 results, 3 of them are efter 9th September(release of 1.2),

but only one thread(this thread), mention -1 ;)

It's NOT A BUG! It's the Windows' system cache!

Search the forums, this has been discussed many times.

And set your diskio.write_queue_size to -1

To bad that this setting "diskio.write_queue_size" is set to -1 on standart.

So there is now no soltution for this kind of "bug" what seems to be a Windows XP bug.

But if its a XP bug why are there no more user with that kind of problem ?

diskio.write_queue_size is another setting. Has nothing to do with the "leak."

diskio.flush_files is what you're looking for, and it is on by default.

There are other users with the 'problem', and with flush files on it's not an actual problem anymore. Stop looking at task manager's available amount, it's a horrible way to tell if there's a memory leak.

The point is that windows uses available memory for the cache, and frees up said memory instantly when it's requested by a program.

diskio.write_queue_size is another setting. Has nothing to do with the "leak."

diskio.flush_files is what you're looking for, and it is on by default.

There are other users with the 'problem', and with flush files on it's not an actual problem anymore. Stop looking at task manager's available amount, it's a horrible way to tell if there's a memory leak.

The point is that windows uses available memory for the cache, and frees up said memory instantly when it's requested by a program.

Nice man, but tell me why this memory eating shit just happend when I'm d/l a torrent file with µtorrent1.2.

And believe me if I'm d/l via a ftp-program at 6mbit there is no memory leak while downloading.

So please don't tell me that's a problem what windows xp brings with, imho this problem had something to do with µtorrent 1.2.

Coz the memory leak stoped in version 1.7.1.2 as i set this "diskio.flush_files" to true. But now with 1.2 i got back this problem.

The point of u with your windows memory cache ability migth be right, but didn't fix my problem that my memory crashes to 10mb and any if I start then firefox (etc.) the system still needs sometime to get this program starting, aswell my irc connections just crashes.

I'm using winbar to show me some system info at realtime, and the memory won't drop down that low as I'm d/l, surfing and chatting via irc.

and if you use that size in 1.2 is it better ?

After the change to 1000 I now d/l a small one this time and the memory wasn't eating off.

But on this torrent the speed wasn't that fast as a the other ones, so I will wait for the next

bigger hope that on that one the speed is a bit faster.

So till now it works on my PC with the changed settings.

Archived