solutions to Rogers' port throttling?

crazy wahesh

Hello all

Over the past month I've been having problems with down/uploading torrents. My ISP is Rogers (London, Ontario) and they have admitted to me that they do traffic shaping.

For the last year I was using the method of encrypting my torrents with the built in option in Utorrent, as well as forwarding to ports 1720 or 1755. I had no problems with this up until about 1.5 months ago.

One day I noticed that my speeds were crap. My up and download speeds are nowhere near what they used to be. The uploads have been reduced to 5kB on avg if I'm lucky. I spoke to Rogers tech support and they told me about how they trottle traffic when using torrent applications. The way the rep talked about it, it sounds like Rogers can detect a difference in the packets used for regular web browsing, and the packets used when torrent sharing (I am not a computer technical person so I don't know how this is done, but it's obvious they do it).

What I am wondering is if there is another method of encrypting your torent traffic so that companies like Rogers cannot tell the difference. The only work around I have been able to find so far is by using a vpn service. When I connect through that I find that my speeds are close to what they always were, but the problem is that I cannot stay connected to the vpn for long periods of time and it doesn't seem to be 100% reliable. This is a whole other issue that I have been researching and doesn't require any more detail here.

I was just wondering about the packet encryption and if there is an updated or better method to get around this throttling that Rogers and other ISPs do. Thank you.

VPN might be a little more stable with DHT+resolve ips disabled. Also with reduced max connections and even reduced upload speed. This is because whatever you're going through has to do double-duty -- uploading and downloading everything TWICE. So each connection's overhead probably has to be paid for twice as well.

FYI Bell does traffic shaping as well.

I plan on switching ISPs but I was wondering if any other Rogers customers knew of a way around this throttling. Doesn't look like it.

As for the vpn I will try what you suggested although I am not familiar with the option resolve ips. The DHT is already disabled.

What are you guys talking about?

Rogers doesn't Throttle anymore.

Look at this, I just downloaded a bot program so that I can play Counter Strike 1.6 with bots, look at my speed, I'm on Rogers Yahoo Hi-Speed Internet Lite service and I'm getting 100 kB/s, the max is 128 kb/s so yeah you can see I'm getting awesome speeds ^_^

utorrent2lk2.jpg

*shrug* You're probably just getting lucky -- plenty of other people are still complaining about it, and several other people have reported getting "unthrottled" before while others were still *obviously* throttled. That you're only able to get 3 nodes for DHT isn't very encouraging either.

Well there are 3 reasons I see for your success; you're either A) a lucky SOB, B) you are in an area where Rogers isn't throttling, C) business accounts are not subject to throttling.

Oh but you said u were on Lite...ok so no business account. Either A or B then. Maybe the network in your area is in better shape then. Last year when i was having these problems I was told that the network was very congested in my area and it wasnt expected that that would change in the near future.

Ah well....time to switch ISPs

I've been using Rogers for 2 years now and got caught within the first few months of using bittorrent. Been playing it safe for one and a half years and a week ago my speeds went from 50 to 200kbs and very unstable to 300 to 500kbs. Speed stays about 400kbs with a good seeded torrent. Was I throttled and now getting what I should be getting? I did not even know and how long will this last.

• 2 weeks later...

DarkAngel - enjoy it while you can. Rogers will catch up with you. Oliver's link is to a post I placed that I did have some success with, but it seems that either Roger's caught up with SecureIX fix, or that SecureIX itself is now so overloaded that it just isn't working.

I think at the end of the day, if they notice a high volume of data going to your IP in any form they will throttle you.

W?

Exactly. I've said this many times before: ISPs that get around encryption either do deep packet inspection with new hardware, or they simply look at patterns that look like BitTorrent or P2P traffic. Either way, it's getting more and more difficult to get around ISP throttling =\

• 4 weeks later...

I find a vpn does work, especially it restores my upload speeds so that I can restore my ratios.

The other thing I have found is that torrents that use multiple trackers are less affected than single tracker torrents. Perhaps the constant switching confuses the software.

I tried using port 80 for torrents and installed an automatic internet browsing program which changed the internet site every minute to see if this would confuse the throttling but it didn't work.

We are still looking for a solution.

Archived