Prioritize on peer location (country)

sub0

I searched in this forum but could'nt find such a request, although its a bit hard to believe nobody already came up with it. Copy past from Bitcomet-request page:

Peer selection by location (closest countries have highest priority)

When connecting to peers, those closest to your location should automatically get highest priority. This would probably increase everyones speeds. Example: Sweden <-> USA (high ping, long distance, low throughput) Sweden <-> Sweden (low ping, short distance, high throughput)

It seems to me this feature will increase downloads dramaticly, now you are many times stuck with peers at the other side frmo the world with bad connection speeds, and the faster peers are not connectable because you reached your max connections per torrent.

Yeah then if there is no one in your country your going to get shitty speeds even if your able to download from that peer faster.

You know what priority means? When there is nobody in my country, then µTorrent can look ouside my country, but at first it will attempt to connect to people from my country.

And if it's not working for YOU, just disable it. I (and more ppl) think it can really work.

Yeah then if there is no one in your country your going to get shitty speeds even if your able to download from that peer faster.

You know what priority means? When there is nobody in my country' date=' then µTorrent can look ouside my country, but at first it will attempt to connect to people from my country.

And if it's not working for YOU, just disable it. I (and more ppl) think it can really work.[/quote']

Yes, I think most people understand the word priority. And like tjobo said, that could really make it suck for people in other countries if a lot of people use this feature. Calm down, I'm just stating my opinion...

as Firon, I think its a bad idea, because if allot of people starts to use it, then it will be hard for many to download and if they can download, they get crappy download speeds.

Can you explain me why that would be? Because i tried and couldn't :) Maybe you are right, but why EXACTLY.

as Firon' date=' I think its a bad idea, because if allot of people starts to use it, then it will be hard for many to download and if they can download, they get crappy download speeds.[/quote']

Can you explain me why that would be? Because i tried and couldn't :) Maybe you are right, but why EXACTLY.

for example, a torrent with lots of users and in your settings, you just allow 4 connections per torrent.

If you only priorities your own country, that means they will take your 4 connections and others cant, except if they get lucky if one of your slot gets open and no peer from your country takes it =

it will be hard for many to download the torrent.

And if there are some peers from your own country or peers that doesn't use the feature,

their download speed will be crappy.

• 4 years later...
You'd have to know exactly which blocks of IPs belong to each country for it to work properly. And there's a whole lot of IP blocks out there.

And what about giving priority to peers from my ISP? As usual, such connections give really higher speeds.

Subnet ranges can be found by sending queries to ripe.net, such as:

http://www.db.ripe.net/whois?form_type=simple&full_query_string=&searchtext=RU-AVANGARD-DSL&do_search=Search

UPD: sorry, found actual discussion of this idea.

• 4 months later...

This feature would be very useful in my country where international bandwidth costs 10x as much and can be up to 100x slower because of throttling.

An easy way to identify peers "close" to you is by IP block, eg. if your IP is 1.2.3.4 then prioritise other 1.2.3.*, then 1.2.*, then 1.* hosts. This is of course just a rough guess, but would work in a lot of cases.

Probably, a kind of peer/IP scanner would be nice.

For example, my ISP has traffic limit and when I exceed it, speed decreases, but not for local sites. So if uTorrent can find local peers, my download speed is pretty high.

I suggest that an option, when you can scan or check any torrent in your list for local peers and probable download speed, would be great. Without actual downloading anything

BUT

I have a gigabit connection. Locally I have unlimited traffic, internationally if I go over 35gb then I have to pay a fair bit.

This would mean I am happy to seed locally at gigabit speeds but I cannot. Maybe I move house with no international limit, but then my bandwidth is probably 10 or 20mbit internationally. ATM I have 100mbit.

Of course there are people who leech but the community is full of fair people who give as well BUT only if they can!

+1 for a feature based on country.

AND... I want the feature to be extended to ban all non local IP. Not for speed but of course for cost reasons. the upside being locally people get gigabit from me.

Would be good if uTorrent can do such thing.

Most ISPs are paying more for international traffic and they exchange traffic locally (same country), not only to but cutting costs is always desirable.

Theres a real chance to get improved speeds depending the way uTorrent developers implement the country identification method. Not a big deal these days. GeoIP is a good start.

• 2 months later...

Is it feasible to make a system based on ping response time for an approximate measure of distance? Only problem could be that peers maxing their connections which are near could have a higher response time than users far away with no traffic trough their conn.

for example :

To create a file Priority IP.dat

172.16.0.1 - 172.32.255.255
192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.255.
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - ........................

now

1958914.jpg

The "Copy peer list" changes

25882383.jpg

3060199.jpg

Archived