That Little Red Dot Next To The DL Speed...Where A Green One Should Be

estar_muerto

So...Im not a total idiot when it comes to this stuff usually...but this time...I'm f'n stumped on what to do cause I've looked everywhere for answers and I've tried everything and nothing helps.

Today when I started up Utorrent, for the first time ever this little red circle shows up at the bottom of the window, next to where it displays the download speeds and whatnot.

It's never been there before, it's always been a green circle. So I clicked on it and it brought up the window for the connection options and port testing, etc...it says im allowing others to connect to me. But when things are downloading, I'm still downloading but it's slower than it's ever been and I'm still uploading.

So I test the port number thats in the slot and I assume that's the port I've been using since I first got the program, but when it checks it, it says the port's not open. I never checked the port number I used enough to memorize it or anything, so I wouldn't know if it had changed on me or not.

I've looked every where, searched everything I knew to search, and the page that tells you if your port is working or not when you test it...I followed the link, portforward.com, but it just ends up telling me all kinds of crap that goes in circles and loops around and pretty much just looks like a wild goose chase in order to get a port that works...stuff about calling my ISP and getting the info for a Static IP address and all this jazz. It's just really aggrivating, mostly cause I have no clue what happened...through looking for answers I ran across people that had similar issues where Utorrent just changed the Port randomly even when they had the option unselected...which is the way I had it.

Do any of you nice folks know anything about helping me fix this problem in an easy kind of way...without spending hours reading FAQ's and Guides just to be told to call someone for help....

Thanks in advance.

JDE

sounds like you need to open a port, if it's suddeny changed have you switched off your router recently? mine resets the memory when it's unplugged

go to the port forward site read the instuctions and open yourself a new port (the actuall number doesn't matter)

My router hasn't been reset recently or anything, cause on mine you have to hold the power switch in for 30secs and then leave it off for 30secs to reset it. I'm using a Speedstream 5200 and the portforward site, it helps me all the way up til the paragraph saying...I need to call my ISP and get them to tell me my Static IP address...and then input all of my info on their page so they can configure everything for me...after that, well, I haven't called anyone cause the company was closed today and whatnot. There's pages and pages of things I have to do it says to configure all kinds of stuff on my computer just to open a port.

I've managed to find an easier and more understandable, less confusing tutorial to open a port on a site called Afterdawn.com...hopefully it'll work and everything will go back to normal. This entire concept, it sounds so easy by reading the stuff people write, but out of all my years of building, programing, fixing, etc computers...this is by far the most confusing problem I've ran into yet...I don't think it'd be so mind boggling to me if I found something or somone online that explained it in a more simple fashion.

Im a quick learner and I understand almost everything I put my mind to, but sometimes there's things that just smack me in the face and taunt me and it's usually simple little things like this, that for some reason, I can't wrap my mind around them enough to understand them quickly and easily...I have stupidity fits here and there.

Thanks for you help though, and if anyone else can help me at all or attempt to explain the solution in an easier manner...feel free to be a great person and help me out...lol.

JDE

Ok, hold on...the PortForward site says that I can either call my ISP for the Static IP or log into my routers web interface...how exactly do I do that ? I haven't messed with my router since I got it a year ago...It worked perfectly fine when I got it...so I didn't go poking around in it's inner workings to see what great things I could find and possible screw up accidentally.

Things of this sort, like, the forwarding ports and router settings, I haven't ever learned much on how they work and what to do with them in problematic situtations...I'm not totally dumb to the idea of it, I'm atleast more than novice...but I know for a fact that "acerbot" could probably throw out some technical words and I'd know next to nothing about what he was saying.

So...how do I log into my routers Web interface to get the Static IP ?

Thanks.

JDE

Thanks to everyone that would have helped me, was going to help me or did help me.

I found a simple and easy way to fix the issue on my own without the hassle of making a new port. I just searched my computer for the dat files and deleted them, reinstalled the program and that reset my Utorrent with a new port and kept my downloading files...so now I'm back to perfect with, some how...a better connection and instead of 50-70kbs, im downloading at a minimum of 150-170kbs...so I guess everything fixed cause it's working great and how i'd expect it to work...it always seemed to download slower than what my connection should allow...but now it's blazing along like i thought it should have in the first place.

Again...thank you.

JDE

Archived