Idea on Error Control

strychnine

I used to test for Bearshare and basically its the same idea that they had incorprated into the program. It might take you some time to implement but it would help in the long run. It had a section for console logging. It had everything from the connections, downloads, uploads and anything else regarding the operation of the program. It would give the user/tester the option to enable logging and allow it to chose which section of the program it would log and could save. It helped out a lot when the program would run into programming problems. Its just an idea. :)

It doesn't log errors in the program only errors in connections and file transfers I believe.

Yea i understand that.. I was suggesting think about adding more to it for testing purposes, considering the application is gaining in popularity and soon will be exceeding any other BT client out. With the amount of users, using it, might help out. I could post a screen shot of what I mean, but in Bearshare it has the control in C++ so the programmers can track certain bugs down to the code.

Here are a few examples of my meaning

GLibraryWatchDb.cpp (#176) Fatal Error: Unable to load library database.

Green entry:

Ex: 4/13/2004 2:05:21 PM Detected platform "Windows XP" GServerThreadPool.cpp(435) Thread Pool Event

These are "Event" entries.

Black entry:

Ex: 4/12/2004 11:33:18 PM Listener is not firewalled, and BearShare detects ZoneAlarm firewall software running. GNetworkLogicImp.cpp(1385) Network Logic Warning

These are "Warning" entries.

Gray entry:

Ex: 4/13/2004 2:07:20 PM Processed hash "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

These are "Information" or "Diagnostic" entries.

Red entry:

Ex: 4/12/2004 11:12:41 PM Calculating Hashes: Permission denied GLibraryHasherOld.cpp(1247) GLibraryHasherOld.cpp(913) Legacy Library Error

These are "Error" entries.

Purple entry:

Ex: 6/22/2005 5:54:23 PM Unsharing file in the Installer directory ("C:\Program Files\BearShare Test\Installer\BSInstall5.1.0.5.exe") that does not match the hash of the signaled Installer ("BearShare 5.1.0b9")

These are "Assert" entries.

Archived