Windows "Open With" Functionality

2n193r

This part of the post was edited to make my original explanation coherent.

"Open With" is referring to the sub menu you get when you right click on a file in a file explore with Windows. Example, ".avi" you could have Windows Media Player, VLC etc.

This same type of sub menu could be added to the files in the files tab. The same thing could be done with torrents containing 1 file in the main list of torrents.

In action:

a. User right clicks on a single file torrent in the list and opens a sub menu called "Open With" showing what application are associated with it. Then can run it with the desired application.

b. User have a torrent open and selfs the files tab. Then can right click on an individual file and opens a sub menu called "Open With" showing what application are associated with it. Then can run it with the desired application.

I do not know if this has been suggested or in the making, I did not want to forget.

Does anyone have thought about this?

DreadWingKnight, that is not what I am saying at all. Sorry for the original explanation it it whittled with errors of all kinds. I wrote it seconds before I went to class and did not even look at what I wrote. Here we go.

"Open With" is referring to the sub menu you get when you right click on a file in a file explore with Windows. Example, ".avi" you could have Windows Media Player, VLC etc.

This same type of sub menu could be added to the files in the files tab. The same thing could be done with torrents containing 1 file in the main list of torrents.

In action:

a. User right clicks on a single file torrent in the list and opens a sub menu called "Open With" showing what application are associated with it. Then can run it with the desired application.

b. User have a torrent open and selfs the files tab. Then can right click on an individual file and opens a sub menu called "Open With" showing what application are associated with it. Then can run it with the desired application.

The only other thing I could do is photoshop up a utorrent screenshot.

You can r-click on a torrent and choose "Open containing Folder" and then r-click on the files in the explorer window that is opened popping up the Windows Explorer Context Menu (which you call the "Open With" menu). Coding that same menu in µtorrent would take a lot of work for hardly any benefit.

• 3 weeks later...

ahh i actually found the post i was planning to post eh. :)

I made gifs ^^

I hope we thought the same thought 2n193r but I actually think so.

.swf

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/12/20/535804/openwith.swf

.gif

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/12/20/535804/openwith.gif

edit: maybe also having the opportunity to select several files/torrents and then -> open with. that would be awesome for me.

the good thing with this is simplicity (i think many noobs, such as my sister would like it a lot), but also to people with many torrents always open in utorrent because you don't have to right click -> open folder for every torrent/folder

you could even make red (when something is wrong) and green (when nothing is wrong) plus and minus. if you could have "enqueue in winamp" that would be like the best for me! I suppose there is some way to program it to fetch the rightclick-menu from windows. There should be anyway.

Archived