uTorrent's caused my net to drop 0-20 times a day for the past year.

andrewset

Hello,

Downloading files by uTorrent causes my internet to fail 0-20 times per day. That's been happening for the past year or so. The fix is quick and easy, I just get up, pull out the power plug behind my cable modem surfboard thing, wait 7 seconds or so, push it back in, and I'm on the net again for the next 5 minutes or up to a day.

Is there some known thing I should do to keep the connection?

Thanks,

Andrew

µTorrent very rarely will max out the various settings you told it to use. I don't mean download+upload speeds, I mean stuff like max number of connections + half open connection rate + DHT (if enabled) + resolve ips...and various other things that do activities that individually are no problem but in combo can add up to quite a lot of overhead.

So, what settings are you using as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G)?

I think I never touched these settings, but it says:

Upload Limit: 0 kB/s

Connections (per-torrent): 50

Max active torrents: 8

Upload Slots: 4

Connections (global): 200

Max active downloads: 5

Current Port: 80

Enable Encryption: Unchecked

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Thanks a lot

Andrew

Currently, it's set to infinite upload speed.

It probably finds a bottleneck somewhere and bombs.

You need to run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and set it to match your UPLOAD bandwidth in kilobits/sec. Chances are, you won't be using a setting faster than xx/512k. I've got to use the xx/384k setting or slower for me.

Hello,

I'm using the lowest setting now, 'dial-up,' because I only care to have 1 download going on at a time anyway. Is that a good idea for making sure my net doesn't fail, or does limiting the upload speed limit the download speed at all? (I know BitComet had some setup like that)

Thanks

Archived