Utorrent not showing correct upload speed???

smithbuilt

When I am uploading, utorrent shows an up speed of 26kB, however when I view a seperate bandwidth monitoring program it shows the computer uploading at an average of 400kbps (I know the two are different values and am not sure of the conversion ratio, but think that 400kbps is more than 26kB). I have no other web applications running at the time.

26kB seems to be the best up speed I can get, but occasionally I can get 40kB+ for a day or two, then it stops and goes back to 26kB.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do about it? I just reinstalled windows xp sp2, so everything should be fresh and virus free...

I am not using a router, I have a usb modem attached direct to the comp...

If your connection can sustain nearly 400 kilobits/sec, then it should be capable of uploading torrent files faster than 26 KiloBYTES/sec.

Run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and try the xx/384k setting...that's close to 400 kilobits/sec but not over.

Certain slower times of the day, you may need to use Scheduler to set your upload speed and possibly download speed lower so you can surf the internet without slowdowns.

As far as I can tell uTorrent indicates the data speed without overhead. This may lead even up to 30% difference in values.

Yet, in your case it is too much. Check your configuration, how many connections and upload slots you allow. Check if this is really utorrent cause (and not the another third party soft... especially those "uninvited" ones), finally check the creditability of the speed measuring software (and its settings)

Also, is DHT and UPnP enabled in µTorrent?

Have you changed the half open value in advanced settings?

Are you firewalled?

Are you connecting to more than 50 seeds+peers TOTAL? (Lots of connections at once consumes bandwidth even if no data is transferred across them!)

Archived