ban peers

gunsmokez

As mentioned on the subject title. I would like to know how to ban peers from my torrents. I've been uploading for 2 weeks straight and 40 gigs later I noticed a selected few have ratios of .20 . This really frustrates me, as my ratio is above 4.0 . Anyways, can someone please help me figure out how to block these leechers from my uploads?

I was told to use ipfilter. But, after reading the f&Q it just made me more confused.

gunsmokez: Have you ever considered that your 4.0 ratio may be the reason some only have a .20 ratio? I may be an example of what you call a leech. I have a 512/128 connection, and often find that when I'm running a torrent some peers are getting 200 or more kB/s and I'm getting near max speed also, but with my 12 kB/s UL it will take me 5 times as long to UL what I have received. In the mean time the peers with super fast connects not only complete, but seed the remaining peers, including myself to completion leaving me and several others with no peers to seed. Of course those with fast connections could do those like me a favor and just cease seeding when they achieved a 1.00 ratio on the torrent leaving the remaining peers at the mercy of those with slow connections. I don't put so much emphasis on ratio as I do on a persons desire to seed whenever and wherever they can. I keep many torrents available checking to see if there are peers I can seed to and have accumulated several that will probably never be fully seeded. As with any pyramid scheme there will ultimately be losers in the end, but should they be the ones you call a leech? Connectivity is something else, I have noticed that sometimes I can find a torrent with a single or even several peers that I can try to seed but appear unable to connect to any one of them. In my opinion it's just not so simple as to say someone has a low ratio so therefore must be a leech. You might have a 10 or better ratio and DL something and disconnect after completing thinking 'my ratio is greater than 1.0', leaving the swarm with less than 100% available, and that in my opinion would be a leech. If everyone would just share where they can, without so much emphasis on ratios that should be enough.

I'll look into the initial seeding option. (I am talking about my uploads, so hence yes I would be the only one with 100% at start)

z9999 I understand what you are saying by people not able to keep there connections on 24/7 or people with much lower speeds. But, there are still more then 20 people with less then 50% of the file trying to finish. After more then a weeks worth of seeding a torrent to only find that 3 people are actually staying behind to seed (including me) is extremely frustrating (Private tracker) . Btw, it was a huge torrent I uploaded , which is probably my mistake in the first place.

z9999 my ratio has nothing to do with their ratios. I look at their ratios based on overall downloads (recorded history) so, it is obvious certain people just don't seed back what they take.

I tried that ipfilter.dat ( i placed a text file in my folder with the ip) and nothing still .

gunsmokez: I didn't intend to sound like I was chastising you, but sometimes the numbers alone don't tell the full story. If you are on a private tracker that has ratio rules, usually the leeches will be banned. I seem to find the class of peers much higher on private trackers and have to work extra hard to keep up my ratio on them as there are so many seeds with faster connections than mine. The public trackers is another story, where I often notice that as soon as I seed someone to completion they leave and I have to continue to seed hoping someone will stick around to help. I don't mind so much that I have to keep seeding as I have a difficult time keeping my ratio up as my DL is 5 times faster than my UL speed, but I feel sorry for the peers who have to stay connected for an enormous time for me to complete them one by one.

Perhaps this might help with ipfilter.dat:

http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_is_ipfilter.dat.3F

gunsmokez, if its a private tracker, you might have the ability to report those "foulplayers" via PM to a MOD/ADMIN so thy can keep an eye on such guys.

regarding the ipfilter.dat; if you have a default installation you must place the dat file not in the folder of µT, but in its datafolder under %appdata%\utorrent (See FAQ what that is!)

Edit: oh, and if it is really only one line so far you have in the file, you must at least press one times return after the last line in the file, otherwise the last line will not be accepted.

while you are at it, it doesn't hurt if you also use at least these lines in the file, saves you some bandwith under certain circumstances...

38.100.24.1 - 38.100.27.254

38.100.134.0 - 38.100.135.255

38.118.11.0 - 38.118.11.255

208.10.23.0 - 208.10.23.255

208.10.29.0 - 208.10.29.255

Just the worst bandwith wasters ;)

Archived