Upload limit doesn't limit upload

jibba

My ISP has a 128k (~15KB/s) up limit, which I usually set as 10KB/s up in Azureus. I set it as 10KB in uTorrent, but it doesn't seem to have any affect.

I used the Advanced Settings to add an 8KB/s limit and set it at that, but it's routinely uploading at 12KB/s or higher.

Can this be resolved?

Edit: Note, this isn't my account, I used BugMeNot to sign in.

Where do you read out those uploadspeeds? Are those peaks, or did you measure the average speed? Remember that data is sent in chunks of 1400 - 1500 Bytes (provided you are using a broadband connection and it is set up properly), so you can't get a straight for outgoing bandwith. I think uTorrent uses the limit as an average.

Personally, UTorrent limits the up and downloadspeeds fine by my.

Where do you read out those uploadspeeds?

When I was checking to confirm my suspicions, I only had one torrent running (and no other upload/downloading running on the same connection). I checked both in the torrent list and the status bar.

Are those peaks, or did you measure the average speed?

No measuring went on, other than me watching it for a few minutes.

Remember that data is sent in chunks of 1400 - 1500 Bytes (provided you are using a broadband connection and it is set up properly), so you can't get a straight for outgoing bandwith. I think uTorrent uses the limit as an average.

Broadband is 10MB down and 128k up (I know, I know; that's all they offer).

are you guys using utorrent 1.2 or 1.1.7.2?

Has happened to me with 1.1.6, 1.1.7.2 and 1.2, but I didn't use any version prior to that.

I don't expect it to sit at exactly 8KB/s for hours on end, but I would like it to see to at least try. I might have to try and measure out some averages based on what's being reported -- is there any easier way than watching and writing it down?

When using Azureus, it seems to do what it's told. It may be the way that it's reporting but if not, I can't really use uTorrent until this is resolved as it's saturating my upstream bandwidth which means I can't do anything else Internet-related while it's running (may as well use Azureus in that case ;\).

Well then how come it does work for some and not for others? :/

Could be related to Windows and how µTorrents limits speed through buffering (not sure how they do it). From what I understand from some other p2p-projects, is that limiting bandwidth is quite a challenge (at least, if you want to be precise about it).

What's your OS? How is your network setup? Did you make any tweaks to the window network/tcp settings? Use a special program for that? Any other type of program sitting between µTorrent and the net? (things like firewall, virusscanners with build-in p2p shield, etc).

If you have problems with bandwidthlimiting that almost no-one else has, it is probably something specific in your setup for which µTorrent is not prepared for.

If you have a broadband-connection, but have a low upload, try cFos (www.cfos.de) or see if your router/modem has traffic-shaping / QoS. You can max out both upload and download (even with acceptable pings for gaming or while using VOIP!), but not through a stock Windows installation... :-( Don't think Bill discoverd µTorrent yet :-)

You can't really max out your upload while downloading with it, though it works very very nicely compared to without it. You still need to throttle while downloading (downloading on the P2P app, not any other app, that is).

However, if you're seeding or using any other app to upload, you can go at max speed without affecting anything, even your ping (your ping goes up only slightly, and there's a ping priority mode too!) :)

Could be related to ... how µTorrents limits speed through buffering

I figured out the problem. I have the scheduler enabled to download overnight (my ISP has a "free" overnight download plan with a limit during the day) and force the torrents I want "now", except I'd left both upload/download limits blank.

The time when I was checking was in the "turn off" times.

Can I suggest there are limit options for all three schedule types (Off, Limited, Full)? Or at least customisable verisions of your own?

Also, setting the upload/download speed should either always take precedence or change that schedule type -- as it's not particularly obvious or helpful the way it is now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is a pic to explain what is happening for me.

Screenshot

If you add up the upload values on the torrent list, they will be at or close to the set global upload rate (10kb in my case).

But at the same time, the value at the bottom right of the window is much higher than the set global upload value.

Edit: I have found the reason. It seems if you enable DHT, the DHT traffic is not being applied by the global upload value. So the total upload value as displayed on the bottom right of the window is,

Global upload rate + DHT traffic.

So basically, the global upload is only applying the restrictions to the torrent upload (seeding traffic) only. The DHT traffic is then added on top of the seeding traffic. The value at the bottom right of the window is the true total speed, which should also be the same value that is reported by the system tray bubble.

Screenshot with DHT off

Same here, I begun looking for a problem when I noticed the net performance was falling: it was uTorrent filling the upstream much more than I expected.

I have 256 kbps of upstream available: DHT was using about 20% of it, effectively choking the connection.

I hope the devs get it fixed soon!

uTorrent is a great client, I've totally dumped the resource-hog Azureus in favour of it :)

This same thing is happening to me. I'm running Windows XP Professional and uTorrent 1.2.2. I have a cable connection, 3Mb down and 256Kbit up, meaning that my max up speed is roughly 30 KB/s with TCP/IP overhead. When I'm not using the computer and I have torrents seeding, I leave the max upload at unlimited. When I'm using the computer, I set it to 15 KB/s.

Today I noticed websites loading slow, so I checked out uTorrent.. the upload speed reported at the bottom was around 25 KB/s. I then set the limit to 5 KB/s, and the actual upload speed dropped to 15 KB/s. After restarting uTorrent, it got better, but not much. Right now I have my limit set to 10 KB/s, but my actual upload speed is around 15 KB/s. I'm not sure why DHT is using so much bandwidth, but it is. When I turn it off, upload speeds drop to the specified global limit.

Archived