Checked

Renegade89

It means that most likely, µTorrent didn't close properly, and because of that it needs to check how much you've downloaded so far. It's nothing to worry about.

Next time you close µTorrent, try clicking on stop, then closing it, instead of just out-right closing it.

J-sub

It means that most likely, µTorrent didn't close properly, and because of that it needs to check how much you've downloaded so far. It's nothing to worry about.

same problem was here after system was down,

only 5.8% was completed of 23GB file and µTorrent was checking it for 5 hour

is there any way to solve this problem?

Switeck

problem is that after this case

several times I closed µTorrent properly

first I click on stop and only after this I close µTorrent,

but when open µTorrent, it is cheking downloading files again and this takes much time

I'm sure stopping the torrents has nothing to do it. After closing µtorrent it will need some time to gracefully stop all activities and update the resume information accordingly. It should take this time automatically even if you tell windows to shut down while still having µtorrent running. If you are prompted to forcefully close µtorrent and chose yes, when you kill its task/process yourself or when your system crashes it most probably will NOT have updated the resume information correctly. If the resume information is incorrect µtorrent will have to recheck the torrents the next time it starts.

The duration of checking depends on the size of the torrents and your CPU power (afaik the CPU is usually the bottleneck and not the HD speed) and is known to take a long time especially with 20GB worth of data to verify...

In other words the fact that it takes so long is not the problem but the only way to make things right after µtorrent didn't close gracefully. Try finding the cause of µtorrent not closing properly.

µtorrent needs to actually complete its checking before it can restore the resume data. Closing it while it is still checking will cause it to have to start all over again next time you start µtorrent.

Sorry, Lord Alderaan made a really good point...cpu limiting could occur, though I think that'd only happen with an already-overloaded cpu. (...as I've heard of a 386 running an earlier version of µTorrent!) Such an overload could be due to lots of bells-and-whistles running in the background or especially other network-using apps fighting µTorrent for resources.

However, ironically if you have tweaked the disk cache settings there may be a problem. The Ram cache may be filled to the limit and need to be dumped to disk before µTorrent can fully close. With 30+ MBs of out-of-sequence data, (which means it can't do a brute-force sequential write) even a top-of-the-line hard drive might need 20+ seconds to write it all out and then close the file. Hard drive writes are almost always slower than reads, sometimes not even 1/2 the read speed! (Typically for the good ones it's about 60-80%.)

Switeck we are talking about hash-checking right?

Afaik Hash-checking is CPU intensive (Your CPU usage will usually be close to 99% which afaik means its the bottleneck instead of HD read speed), doesn't require any network activity, doesn't actually write much data (just resume.dat afaik) and therefore I think it doesn't use the disk cache or it wouldn't be influenced by its settings even if it did (since CPU is the bottleneck).

When closing µtorrent the cache size does influence the time it needs to gracefully shutdown because it needs to write the data to the disc. But afaik µtorrent just takes that time even when closing windows in which case closing windows just takes longer.

Rezo. I don't know about the Commit Charge. The Commit Charge value includes more then the total of memory used by all the processes but what this might be I don't know. I'm no memory expert.

"Switeck we are talking about hash-checking right?"

I'm not. I meant a cpu that is already-overloaded by other programs, drivers, games, IRQ conflicts, internet connection sharing, web server features, windows updates, etc...

Even when the cpu's not at 100% usage, a problem can still occur if something time-critical is delayed by not being able to get a cpu timeslice at the exact moment it needs it. A good example is stuttering and popping sound playback.

A similar issue may be happening with the hard drives. So many files are being read+written by the OS and other apps that throughput for µTorrent drops far below the drive's normal max sequential speeds. Being on a separate hard drive helps, but the problem can still occur to a lesser degree if they're both on the same controller.

• 5 months later...

I'd like to bring up this subject again, cause the 'checked..' issue is really, REALLY annoying. I understand that uTorrent has to check the partial files if it was not closed properly. However...

1. I've seen it doing the 'checked..' stuff many times, even when I'm 100% sure I closed uTorrent properly, and gave it more than enough time (as in more than an hour) to correctly close all its chunks and file handles and everything. Yet when I restart uTorrent later (more than an hour after I closed it) there was the 'checked..' problem again.

2. It's taking *ridiculously* long. I can't possible imagine why a file of 700 MB, which is downloaded for about 50%, would require more than a friggin' *hour* to check.

For my understanding, could someone please explain me exactly what happens during this checking business? As far as I can tell, I'd say fully downloaded chunks don't need to be checked (since they're already finished, they were not written to when closing uTorrent last time), completely non-downloaded chunks don't need to be checked (there's nothing to check), and the partial chunks would be just a matter of hashing (calculating checksums) and discarding the wrong chunks. Of in fact, you might just throw away partially downloaded chunks as well, as the checking seems to take much longer than simply downloading them.

Or is there just something wrong with the way uTorrent keeps track of downloaded chunks and hashes and stuff?

Please... PLEASE do something about that irritating 'checked..' problem!

Well, when copying normal files from the HDD I think it's faster than USB 1.1 would allow (several MB/sec), but I'll check to be sure.

Anyway, that doesn't explain the checking that happens everytime when I start uTorrent (even when I'm 100% sure I closed it properly last time). I really hope this is improved in 1.8!

TheBear, what do you mean with "hotspots on the enclosure"?

• 5 years later...
I can't possible imagine why a file of 700 MB, which is downloaded for about 50%, would require more than a friggin' *hour* to check.
was  here  after  system was down' date=' only 5.8% was completed of 23GB file and µTorrent was checking it for 5 hour[/quote']I've been having a similar problem to this. Running a torrent I had done 23/28 gigs on, has been checking it for 6 hours and is only at 4.7% checked.

Is there a way to calculate the data/minute that uT should be able to check? What factors limit this speed?

Get a much faster hard drive...and/or put your hard drive on a very fast hard drive controller.
How do we find out what the speed of our hard drive is? Is this processor speed or something else?
After closing µtorrent it will need some time to gracefully stop all activities and update the resume information accordingly. It should take this time automatically even if you tell windows to shut down while still having µtorrent running. If you are prompted to forcefully close µtorrent and chose yes, when you kill its task/process yourself or when your system crashes it most probably will NOT have updated the resume information correctly.
So right clicking and selecting 'Exit' and 'Yes' to 'Are you Sure?' could cause this problem? That's very alarming because that's how I normally shut it down when I don't feel like running anymore. What is the safe way to shut it down?

I only Stop Process if the system is locking up and not responding. Crashing does suck.

(afaik the CPU is usually the bottleneck and not the HD speed) and is known to take a long time especially with 20GB worth of data to verify...
Would the number of cores influence this? Like is it total processor speed (like with quad cores) or is the process limited by the speed of a single processor which can't be shared?
In other words the fact that it takes so long is not the problem but the only way to make things right after µtorrent didn't close gracefully. Try finding the cause of µtorrent not closing properly.

µtorrent needs to actually complete its checking before it can restore the resume data. Closing it while it is still checking will cause it to have to start all over again next time you start µtorrent.

I find that selecting 'Stop' rather than 'Pause' also causes this re-checking to occur, but why does that happen?

Archived