Sudden drop in Speed

Uthred

Got connected with my broadband provider (IBB, Irish company) about three months ago with a 2mb up/down connection. Its worked fine for the last three months, regularly getting a combined download of 200kb. However since I powered up today the best Ive been able to achieve is a combined dl of 20-25kb. Ive tested the speed of the connection via internet tests and direct downloads and its still giving me ~200kb, its only with torrents that Im having a problem.

- EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed below

*Updated drivers for cpu, motherboards and network adapter

*Reset all settings on the router

*Deleted old uTorrent settings and set it up again via the guide

*Set up a static ip for the computer and set up new port

After the above when using the slackware 10.2iso torrent to test after 25 minutes the best Im getting is 25k download

- Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

Starts yellow and then goes green after a few second

- What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

"OK! Port xxxx is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections. "

- What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

UL Limit: 160kb

Connections/torrent:125

Max active torrents: 5

Upload slots:6

Connections(global):750

max active downloads: 5

- Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Win Xp Pro with SP 2

Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

Basic winxp firewall, avg free, adaware

- Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

Linksys WRT54GS v5 FW 1.52.0

- ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Irish Broadband

- Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload.

Wireless DL ~200kb UL ~200kb

Unless you have a very expensive business line, you probably don't have 2 megabits/sec upload bandwidth. You may not even have 1/4 that amount. What upload speeds have you actually seen in µTorrent? What is roughly your best sustained upload speed?

Your ISP may have throttled your line due to repeated overloads on the upload side. Either that, or it's just µTorrent's settings are crippling your connection. Is web surfing slowed noticeable while µTorrent is running?

I had utorrent's global upload connection set at 150kb's and depending on what was being seeded/downloaded it was usually around about that. Web surfing doesnt seem to be noticeably affected when utorrents running.

In regards to ISP throttling, the service is supposedly unlimited.

Just want to mention that the exact same thing has happened to me on IBB

I have tried everything to get it going constantly changing the forwarding ports but to no avail!!

Have IBB adding some kind of blocker to the service ?

My download speed is still fine but using utorrent or azeuerus makes no difference my D/L max's out at 20-25Kbits per second :(

Let me know if you discover anything!

Well I will be staying tuned in to this thread just in case something comes out of it.

I was downloading a file at 210 - 230 Kbps tonight

My torrent was still running in the background and the most it got up to was 32Kbps for a few seconds mostly it averages still around the 18 - 25 mark :(

I do not use IBB. I am in Mexico and have cable modem service 1.5 MB. My speed tests confirm a

d/l rate of 200KB+ and u/l 60KB+. Up until about a week ago everything was fine, got good speed.

Now my u/l seems to be pretty good but d/l has gone to avg of 5KB. I have made no changes in

hardware or software or settings. What has happened to my d/l rate?

Your upload speed max may be too high for your connection, so it kills download speeds trying to do the impossible on the upload side.

What's the highest sustained upload speeds you're seeing?

Have you done a Speed Guide (CTRL+G) speed test for both down and up?

I am a member at IP Torrents and have uploader status. My avg u/l is above 60 kB. My u/l is set at

60 kB, lowering it does not help. I have been getting up to 180kB d/l in the past until this week, and as I said I have made no changes. Of course I understand the d/l speed is dependent upon seeds and availability. I just don't understand why the d/l speed just suddently dropped to next to nothing

for no apparent reason. The u/l is ok but seems to be a little slow also, but I am not sure. I did run

new speed tests and they are fine. I use several sites and they are all good. Numion which is very far from here gives me excellent results, therefore it is not connection.

Since I have have changed no settings, software or hardware, I am lost as to the problem.

By the way, if you only have 1.5 megabits/sec download bandwidth...you CANNOT download at 200+ KiloBYTES/sec speeds. So chances are (at least at times) your connection is a little better than 1.5 megabits/sec down.

If you're seeing upload speeds of 60 KiloBYTES/sec sustained but not much more, then you probably have 512 kilobits/sec or 640 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth. Not bad, considering your download bandwidth is less than 4 times that.

Maybe I get confused between the bits and bytes, but I do get depending on the torrent and seeds etc. 180 kB easily. At present I am d/l a torrent with 374 seeds and 478 leeches and getting a d/l speed of avg 9 kB. I did a ctl g test and the speed was 98kB d/l. If I shut down all connections it would be much higher I am sure.

There's no point in making 100's of connections if it's eating into your download+upload speed.

Typically, fewer than 20 good seeds+peers can give you a total download well over 100 KiloBYTES/sec.

And as few as 3 peers can (or SHOULD!) draw as much as 100+ KiloBYTES/sec upload speed off you, assuming your line can actually go that fast.

High half open connection rate isn't good either once you've already got lots of connections. It's a big bandwidth eater because the initial handshake trades information about what pieces of the torrent you and they have.

I have the exact problem described here with IBB. Used to get 200k plus, now never more than 40k, but usually 25k with torrents. Direct downloads can still be in the 200K range. I've tried different clients, w and without router, XP, Linux. Fiddled with ports and firewalls, but no luck. I hope someone can get to the bottom of it, and I'll stay tuned.

Seeing as cskoog, Uthred and myself are all experiencing the same problems obviously it is not in our collective heads and something must have changed on the IBB network!

The fact that other users in diff ISP's are also coming in with similar problems has me guessing is there some new form of filtering emerging?

Or seeing as IBB is a static IP connection maybe that may have something to do with it?

Anybody any thoughts or more leads on this?

I don't mind saying that I am not up to speed on all this by any stretch, but can follow through on some ideas if a better head(s) than mine can suggest one.

I'm using breeze 3mb and the same problem here. I checked couple of my friends, who by the way also are IBB users, and they got the same speed issues. The strange thing is that speed limitation is only on BitTorrent all other downloads and uploads are fine. In my opinion Irish Broadband put some kind of torrent filtering or blocking to limit the up/download speed...

The question is, can they do this? 'couse i checked IBB website and found this:

Irish Broadband don't block any ports or rate limit on different types of traffic

so i'm a bit confused now..

I don't think this problem is isolated to IBB, I'm experiencing the same problem using torrent clients on a Chello i-net connection in the Netherlands. Up until two weeks ago had no problems downloading up to 300kB/s and uploading up to 90kB/s but as of late I don't get any torrents downloading over 30kB/s. As others have mentioned I've changed nothing in my hardware/software configuration and speedchecks and direct downloads still show the same values as always. Hope somebody can get to the bottom of this!

i am also on irish broadband wireless on a 2 meg package. i was getting about 50 down and 100 up this aternoon with azureus. normally i get about 220 up and down. i turned on the encyption options as outlined at http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-encrypt-bittorrent-traffic/

there are details there for utorrent as well

in point 2, choose 'forced'

in point 3 choose'untick this box'

i think that IBB traffic shapes at the encyption level 2 as described here

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping

it does not end there. i found that even with the encryption turned on my up speed ws still only hitting 150 and my up was about 130. i turned off all my seeding only torrents (completed but still seeding) and my down increased to 215 or so, which is acceptable.

now i am getting 215/175 d/u. and with a bit of fiddling i will be able to tweak my client to use the full bandwidth.

the upshot is that this encyption works and bittorrent is still the best way to download stuff.

and to switeck, irish broadbnd generally gives the same up and down speed,i know most packages would be for example 2mb/512kb but i get 2mb/2mb

cheers.

@ pigfarmer

brilliant, youve saved the day.I have a IBB breeze connection that had dropped to 25kbs max for torrents over the last few days ,as soon as i did what you said my speed shot back up to 250kbs- 350kbs.THIS IS THE FIX! Should work for everyone.

Thanks.

Irish Broadband shouldnt be allowed to do this,I pay for a 3mb always on connection I should get that.

Even if your ISP doesn't throttle BitTorrent traffic itself, if it is actually buying its internet access from a larger ISP...THAT larger ISP may be throttling any BitTorrent traffic that passes through the interlink. So your ISP may claim it's not throttling BitTorrent...but it gets throttled all the same due to other ISPs.

I am on ComCast Cable ISP in the USA, and alot of the time I cannot upload very fast because I'm seeding old torrents with very few peers...the few peers that show up are often on horrible ISPs that break any connection that they sense BitTorrent traffic on. (many of these ISPs are on the eastern-Pacific rim.)

I have also tried the fix(es), w utorrent, and a router (wired). I seem to have gained about 10k in download speed upto a norm of 40k (uploads can go to 80 or 90k).

When I get a round tuit, I'll try without a router and with azureus and see if that makes a difference.

Forcing encryption and disallowing incoming legacy connections has made a moderate improvement on my download speed, upload still seems rather low but the only torrent I'm on is being heavily seeded so they might not be related. Once again, I'm on Chello in the Netherlands, seems they might've started throttling torrent bandwidth, or else their provider is (like Switeck mentioned)

What happened to me is...i have a very huge fluctuation on my speed. I limit my upload to 30KB/s. D/l speed goes up to 60KB/s and it drop down rapidly, when it hit below 30HB/s, upload speed drop as if download speed...and it goes fluctuating all the way. Why is it like that?

Archived