µTorrent 1.7 beta 2951

Firon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@rafi: Wine isn't *really* supported. We just don't discourage its use, and it's the only way to run µTorrent on Linux at the moment. That doesn't mean we're going to work around problems caused by Wine. As I said before:

Fixing the bug is *always* what you're supposed to do, not hack your way around the problem.

If it's a problem with Wine, µTorrent should NOT be working around it. It's detrimental to Wine's development for *us* to add workarounds for *their* problem when *they're* trying to get their Win32 API implementation to be as faithful to the *true* Windows implementation as possible.

btw... Wine bills itself as a Windows emulating environment... so it isn't on us to specifically code to be compatable with Wine... just with Windows... it is up to Wine to specifically code to be compatable with Windows' environment, so Windows applications will run on it.

If a program runs ok under Windows, but not under Wine, and Wine is supposed to be emulating Windows, then it isn't doing a good job of it and needs to work it out...

-- Smoovious

Wine has to be bug-for-bug compatible with Windows. If it works on a real Windows and not Wine, then there's a problem with Wine, and Wine should be fixed. Simple as that. Although it's probably possible for it to expose bad behavior in µT, in which case, that should be fixed. :P

Hmm, not too happy with the "update to beta". It's great and all, but not that good that it overwrite the old beta file.

I now have a file named "beta1" (just as an example), that actually is "beta2". Should I need to go back to a previous and more stable beta, I have to find that file all over.

So please, if possible fix it. Otherwise I turn it off and to it all manually like usual =)

bt.graceful_shutdown: If enabled, µTorrent will take as long as it needs to finish its shutdown sequence (writing in-progress pieces to disk, deleting files in deletion queue, and waiting for tracker replies to stop messages -- among other things). That means that even if it takes several minutes to shutdown gracefully, it will wait for that long, and the process will remain in memory until then. If disabled, µTorrent will limit how long it waits to to 10 seconds, and regardless of the state of the shutdown sequence, µTorrent will force itself to exit.

IMHO, working around Wine bugs isn't any better than making use of Windows bugs.

Archived