Ports no longer forward no matter what!

Config:

XPpro-sp2

Zone Alarm (most recent version)

Kaspersky AV (most recent version)

Linksys RTP300 VoIP 4-port router

Comcast HSI

uTorrent 1.6.1

A while ago I noticed the status alert at the bottom of uTorrent (yellow triangle w/ exclamation), says "cannot accept incoming connections" yadda yadda.

So I check to see if the port is forwarded and it's not! It always has been and I've stayed with the same port number since forever without problems, just one day out of the blue I can no longer forward my ports. Neither my laptop nor my desktop can get clever, I've power cycled my router and cable modem, I've release/renewed my IP, I've reassigned port numbers within my router's configuration. Nothing seems to work.

Here's what my routers config screen looks like:

The xxx.15.100 is my desktop ip to the router and the xxx.15.101 is my laptop, the second 101 was me trying a different port, the others I don't use.

portforward.jpg

This is what portforward.com says based on my recent change

portforward2.jpg

Some other things I've done were:

-Re-ran a speed test and re-config'd my speed preferences

-Tried multiple different port numbers ranging from 10000-60000

-Re-read the FAQ's regarding uTorrent setup and enabling uPnP, encryption, legacy connections, etc.

-Re-read Portforward.com's router setup (again and again).

-Disabled Zone Alarm and AV to rule out software issues (windows firewall is disabled even though I've got the preferences checked to "allow uTorrent in Windows Firewall")

This is vexing me because, for a long time I've been forwarded properly without any problems. Now all of a sudden I'm not...

...no major OS changes or anything like that. The only recent upgrade has been my video card (same drivers though).

I've got my router setup to "Obtain IP automatically". My local IP is set to 192.168.15.1 like so:

portforward3.jpg

Are you saying I should change the Obtain Automatically to "Static"? I always understood to leave that automatic because Comcast will renew your IP every few weeks or so, so if you leave it static when the IP changes your router will be confused.

Besides that, like I mentioned before, none of those options changed when I was forwarded properly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

EDIT: The image looks a lot worse now that it's posted. I found (with Firefox) I can right click and choose "view image". Comes in a lot clearer.

Are you saying I should change the Obtain Automatically to "Static"? I always understood to leave that automatic because Comcast will renew your IP every few weeks or so, so if you leave it static when the IP changes your router will be confused.

Not in the router configuration. In the computer configuration.

The static IP settings are for your computer, not your router. You have skipped steps from the guides at http://portforward.com that you should not have.

I have the same exact problem, i have been using torrents for over a year, forwarding ports through my linksys router, and never having any speed guide/nat problems, then yesterday my NAT was red and I checked it and it says:

Checking port 53216 on 66.177.250.235...

Error! Port 53216 does not appear to be open.

now the problem is that my ip is 192.168 range and always has been, this 66.177 ip is strange and never before seen. All of the sudden it does this on utorrent and I tried azereus and it also tries to use this ip address. When I use azereus I get

NAT Error - Connection to 66.177.250.235:53216 refused.

Why?

Ok I see that the 66.177 is my internet ip address from trying to change to static. All Ive ever needed to do was go to forward port and put in the last octet of my ip address becasue it already has the 192.168 part so how am I supposed to open a port to 66.177 or whatever?

I setup my computer to a static ip, and everything that the port forwarding guide says, but utorrent and azeureus still try to forward to the 66.177 address.

Not in the router configuration. In the computer configuration.

The static IP settings are for your computer, not your router. You have skipped steps from the guides at http://portforward.com that you should not have.

My router has always assigned the same addresses.

192.168.15.100 = main desktopPC

192.168.15.101 = Laptop while connected through router

192.168.15.102 = Laptop while connecting to router through WAP

These were the IPs I used to use before my issues occurred.

So either way I went and assigned a Static IP through my PC like directed on Portforward.com. My new "Static" IP became 192.168.15.136, changed the settings in my routers config, checked my port using uTorrent port checker and still NO GO!

Portforward.com's guide forgets to mention how picky linksys routers are about IP addresses.

.100-.149 cannot be used and have things expect to work.

So anything outside this range should work?

In other words, if I changed my range to .150-.200 I'd be okay?

Also, this doesn't explain why I've been able to forward ports for years prior to my "all of a sudden it doesn't work" incident.

Oh well, at this point, if it works I'm stoked...

• 2 weeks later...

This is related to Kasperksy btw. Gotta be a new update of them. Unloaded Kaspersky Internet Security, works ace-ok now. Load it, port not reachable. Mind you that is with Kaspersky completely letting µTorrent do what it wants on the internet, and no stealth mode either.

Works fine with KIS here. My guess? Faulty firewall rules :\

[utorrent.exe]
App=C:\Program Files\uTorrent\utorrent.exe
CommandLine=
UseCommandLine=0
Name=Allow TCP Port 31337 (Inbound)
Enable=1
Allow=1
Log=0
Warning=0
Protocol=TCP
Direction=InboundStream
LocalPort=31337

Name=Allow All UDP Packets (Outbound)
Enable=1
Allow=1
Log=0
Warning=0
Protocol=UDP
Direction=Outbound

Name=Allow All TCP Connections (Outbound)
Enable=1
Allow=1
Log=0
Warning=0
Protocol=TCP
Direction=OutboundStream

Name=Allow All UDP Packets (Inbound)
Enable=1
Allow=1
Log=0
Warning=0
Protocol=UDP
Direction=Inbound

You can save this into a new .ini file and import it with Kaspersky. Modify the App path and the rule name if needed. The "Allow All" rules might be overkill, but I didn't really feel like testing which port ranges to limit it to (should be 1024-5000 for outbound). The incoming UDP thing was (apparently) needed for hostname resolving to work -- otherwise, I couldn't connect to trackers. It might be because I disabled the DNS cache service on Windows. Anyhow, YMMV with some of these rules; in the end, they work perfectly for me, so yeah, I'll shut up now.

Archived