Slow speeds only when downloading files 4Gb+

wardy277

I am an experienced bittorrent user and have configured my router and all my setting allow for me to get my max downlaod speed (255KBps from 1Mb Line) i can download small files fine, getting to top speed within a few minutes but whenever i try and download files that are larger than 4Gb i get speeds between 10-30KBps. anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

the torrent has 34317 seeds (only11 connected) and 8335 peers, only 36 connected.

on the pears tab i can see that other users are getting speeds of 175KBps.

anyone know what the problem could be?

Chris

It is not a fake as it has several parts and one has downloaded and it is real. i think it is pretty popular in japan or something.

my setting are:

upload limit 7Kb/s

upload Slots 8

Connections (per-torrent) 100

connection(global) 300

Max active torrents 10

max active downloads 10

encryption enabled

i have never fully understood these bits but i used a recomended settings site to get these settings for my connection (2mb)

Chris

lets see...

in your initial post you refer to a linespeed of "1Mb", now you refer to "2mb".

So i'm not totally sure what you are refering too, uploadspeed, downloadspeed, bits or bytes 1 or 2?

in any event, at least your value for uploadspeed is way to low, don't be a leech!

Do a speedtest or two to find out what your UPloadspeed actually is, and then set the CTRL+G drop down menue value accordingly, and you will get decent speeds also on large torrents if they are well seeded.

Your total upload slots, which is upload slots per torrent TIMES the max number of active torrents at once, should *NEVER* be greater than your upload speed in KiloBYTES/sec. Ideally, total upload slots should actually be less than half total upload speed! And if you're trying to seed a torrent to keep it going, lower still. (...assuming few hostile peers and 'average' hit-and-runners/leechers.)

Your total upload slots is potentially 11.4 times greater than your upload speed. You'd probably hurt some of those torrent swarms less if you just completely leeched instead of claiming to offer anything in return and having to upload long lists of pieces that you will only upload the tiniest bit.

Firstly, if you're only going to offer 7 KiloBYTES/sec upload speed then you really shouldn't be running more than 1 or 2 torrents at once. (...and I'm being optimistic to say 2. :P) Upload slots would probably work alot better if lowered to 3 per torrent. (Or 4 if you only run 1 torrent at a time.)

2+ GB torrents are where your karma really bites you...you're around for a LONG time, other peers have plenty of time to find out if you will reward them back for uploading to you, and even seeds that are around for a day or 2 can hardly make up for slow uploading peers. This is why I say it's best to find a fair balance with your own upload speed versis download speed. If you're offering 7 KiloBYTES/sec upload speed total, even if it's only to 1 big torrent, it would be surprising to get download speeds faster than 4 times your upload. It's all got to balance, if you're uploading slow then someone else has to upload a LOT faster just for everything to break even. Most broadband connections worldwide cannot even upload at 50 KiloBYTES/sec total...and if they're running multiple torrents with multiple upload slots on each, then getting 10-30 KiloBYTES/sec is actually decent for what you're giving.

OK thanx for the help. i have a 2Mb line, must have made a mistake in my first post. I think my max upload speed is 20-25KBps. what should i put my upload limit to that wont hurt my web browsing speeds?

after stopping my other fiinnished torrents this torrent got the whole 7KBps upload speed.

Chris

Archived