why is 1.2 so much slower for me?

razzy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL if I queue up that many torrents I can easily max my connection, I dont normally.

Three torrents were downloading, I don't see what torrents being queued (and not downloading) has anything to do with the download speed, all I'm saying is that compared with previous versions, I hadn't been able to achieve such speeds. :)

Well despite the settings I'm getting even crappy speeds when compared to 1.1.7 while the same torrents bitcomet works as expected. Sorry to say but I'm going to give utorrent a miss until I see no more speed threads. I think alot of you who are getting great speeds are using private trackers and aren't having to contend with a "hostile" public networks. It's not a matter of settings only I believe. Somehow utorrent isn't producing the goods consistently when operating on public trackers for whatever reasons while other popular clients handle them without issues.

Pity as I really liked the scheduler. I think I'll write my own client & that way I can implement the features I want whenever I want and learn more about bitorrent protocols in general.

Cheers

If a person shares, they dont have to 'contend' with 'hostile' pub trackers. The only requirement for staying on a priv tracker IS that a person share, which is what bt is all about. ReP0, i'd be interested to see what your cllient looks like. If it plays fair, and trackers like it, I would be interested in trying it out. IF bt is based on EVERYONE sharing the bw load, and it IS, and IF ppl are on trackers where ratios are not enforced so they dont have to upload and they DONT, WHY would you want to fight with them to get a file that they dont want you to have yet they want themselves?? This is what drove me to priv trackers in the first place. I almost gave up on bt were it not for private trackers, all the great pub trackers are gone now. This is why DHT and peer exchange were developed, to combat the issues that exist mainly on pub trackers. Its more than worth it to me to leave my box on for a few hours to seed and not have to worry about trying to get files off pub trackers. Now I do use them if I see something that I want and cant get elsewhere but really priv is the way to go when its all said and done. H&R and ppl that dont want to up makes that a true statement.

Well private trackers are well and good but for those of us who got on the bt boat a bit too late then you find that most of the sites that are any good are already full or invite only and I have been checking regularly. I'll also admit that I'm on cable and my upload rate sucks (15k). Now I don't mind uploading at all but I'm limited in what I can do. Now combine this with the fact that you need to be a member of at least 3 trackers to get a good spread of things you're interested in and the question becomes how do I spread that bandwidth and really that means that I'm restricted to 15k download if I maintain a 1:1 ratio. For those of you who do not have to work in such limitations I'm sure you'll say, "tough, you should have a ration 1:1 no matter". Well I'd like to introduce you to reality and point out your lack of compassion. Not all of us have options to move to an ISP with a higher upload rate due to limited selection so hence public trackers are born and I don't have a problem using them. So next time you think people who use public trackers are leechers think again. If that was the case you would never be able to get a file. In most cases it's a matter of necessity even if they upload 24/7.

My problem is where bitcomet is able to get a file overnight (or at least 90% of it) utorrent (latest version) can't even get 25% of it atm and I have played with settings and used the knowledge I've built up on this forum for over 2 months but still haven't had success with the latest version. 1.1.7 was ok and achieving reasonable speeds but it's problem was the lack of dht. For some reason speed wise my experience is that we have taken a step backward in speed significantly when used on public trackers. Oh well I'm glad for some the speeds has improved but it's something I can't understand based on my experiences. It's free so I really shouldn't complain but I just don't want others who are finding speed issues to think they are alone.

1.2 is alot slower to me too

for some reason also ut 1.2 is not limitting my speed and drains my entire connection i disabled dht tried everything but didnt work .

Some torrents using ut 1.2 got good speed but most of them dont(i tried 5 only 1 got decent speed on 1.2 .

I tried the same torrents that got a bad speed but now in Ut 1.1.7.2 and i got the max of my download speed.

Also i notice UT 1.2 take alot longer than 1.1.7..2 to connect to the peers...

I think something is wrong.

well im using Ut 1.7.1.2 again it works great ! better than any other client i have tried ...

Will be nice if 1.2 get fix but i m happy with 1.1.7.2 =)

Well private trackers are well and good but for those of us who got on the bt boat a bit too late then you find that most of the sites that are any good are already full or invite only and I have been checking regularly. I'll also admit that I'm on cable and my upload rate sucks (15k). Now I don't mind uploading at all but I'm limited in what I can do. Now combine this with the fact that you need to be a member of at least 3 trackers to get a good spread of things you're interested in and the question becomes how do I spread that bandwidth and really that means that I'm restricted to 15k download if I maintain a 1:1 ratio. For those of you who do not have to work in such limitations I'm sure you'll say, "tough, you should have a ration 1:1 no matter". Well I'd like to introduce you to reality and point out your lack of compassion. Not all of us have options to move to an ISP with a higher upload rate due to limited selection so hence public trackers are born and I don't have a problem using them. So next time you think people who use public trackers are leechers think again. If that was the case you would never be able to get a file. In most cases it's a matter of necessity even if they upload 24/7.

My problem is where bitcomet is able to get a file overnight (or at least 90% of it) utorrent (latest version) can't even get 25% of it atm and I have played with settings and used the knowledge I've built up on this forum for over 2 months but still haven't had success with the latest version. 1.1.7 was ok and achieving reasonable speeds but it's problem was the lack of dht. For some reason speed wise my experience is that we have taken a step backward in speed significantly when used on public trackers. Oh well I'm glad for some the speeds has improved but it's something I can't understand based on my experiences. It's free so I really shouldn't complain but I just don't want others who are finding speed issues to think they are alone.

The reality is not my lack of compassion, im not the one making presuppositions about speed. I dont have the greatest connection either. I dont whine about it though. And although the statement was braod it DOES apply, if it dosent apply to YOU then dont take it so personally. It wasnt pointed at you not anyone in particular. Obviously some things changed between 1.1.7 and 1.2 and when I fired up 1.2 I noticed the diference and I went straight to the options and made an adjustment. Mine worked. And as far as pub trackers not having leechers, take a peek at your peerlist and see what speeds they are upping to you at. Like I said I DO use them. If a client gets you what you want out of there by all means use it. No one's judging YOU about what client you use. I myself until 1.2 came out used other clients to get files from pub trackers. I never complained about it though I acknowledged that it existed. Unless you donate *do you?* or have a good share ratio *DO YOU* you are basically doomed to that existence. That is the way its shaped atm. Like I said the great pubs are no more. When the climate changed I adapted. It didnt happen overnight or from one client version to the next. Now before the tracker sweeps last year went down I HAD a super connection and those were the trackers I used *pubs* and I shared. When I made the transition to priv trackers I had to make adjustments because of my speed after I changed ISPs. Is it the same as it once was? No. Will it ever be like that again? Probably not. What do I do? adjust I guess. My point is do whatever gets you what you are looking for. There are as many differing issues with speed as there are differing machines that we use to use these programs. I know there are more out there like yourself and hey, it could be me. I liked µT from the first time I used it and I see the trememdous potential and that is why I continue to use it. will BitComet work better? Yeah it still does connect faster for me and outperforms µT on pub trackers. Does Az and all those DHT peers seem like a better deal? For some im sure it does. My using µT is a CHOICE, like we all have one. I choose to use it. You can choose not to. I aint mad at cha. I live with its limitations because I choose to. You have a choice as well.

Blacklion,

I don't want to turn this thread off track but I think your quote about performance and choice summed it up nicely. I've come to the conclusion that utorrent is outperformed at the moment by bitcomet (public or private) and even you agree with this so I wish when people ask what is the fastest client they would be told all the information so they can make an informed choice rather than it's a matter of tweaking settings (it isn't, at least not the whole story). I like utorrent also but if I was told from the outset for example that utorrent was slower in some cases as I've found it to be then I wouldn't have switched and wasted so much time trying to tweak it. I understand support is trying to be gained for this client but it doesn't help alot of people who are looking for the fastest client. From a personal level I am a marketers worst nightmare. I have no loyalty to any one brand or product. I evaluate it on my needs and go from there so for me it's not a matter of choosing bitcomet over utorrent, it's just chosing a client which works the fastest in most scenarios and that just happens to be bitcomet atm. Maybe in the future this will change but I'll check in at version 3/4 of utorrent I think.

Also I didn't take it personally and I don't feel like I was being judged and I've been around long enough and have a life to not really care what virtual people think of me or why I do things the way I do. I was just stating why people use public trackers and aren't leechers as is the common stereotypical view that most people take. Also I have an issue with paying a tracker site for ratio immunity so no I don't donate at all on principle. I came from the usenet world before this where I would pay a monthly amount (so no I'm not tight) and I would rather pay those guys who have to supply the bandwidth for the download, server, diskspace etc rather than a tracker which is just providing me references to other peoples resources and getting money anyway from sponsorship especially since I would have to be paying 3 trackers. The cost was easily less than I would have to pay a ratio site and it's all in one place so if public trackers ever go really shit I will return. Anyone who is paying for ratio free leech on a tracker ought to look at usenet instead and compare it for value. Just my own views on the pay the tracker situation which you are welcome to disagree with.

Anyway I'll end my involvement in this particular thread since I think any more will steer it off topic.

BlackLion, if you keep this humming of that song up, I swear I'll use my ancient tracker program to make an actual song that goes like that :P

ontopic: settings can be a downright bitch if your provider is a spotty one!

to swedes: if you're using telia.. be prepared for some nasty effects!

The main problem for me is that I never see the problems that anyone else brings up - I get perfectly good speeds whether it be a public tracker or a private tracker. However, I have this suspicion that in every single torrent I download, there exists at least one .edu peer, and most universities have a high speed intercampus line, which really brings up the speed. I'll have to test things out the next time I go home to make sure, though.

The main problem for me is that I never see the problems that anyone else brings up - I get perfectly good speeds whether it be a public tracker or a private tracker. However, I have this suspicion that in every single torrent I download, there exists at least one .edu peer, and most universities have a high speed intercampus line, which really brings up the speed. I'll have to test things out the next time I go home to make sure, though.

By far, the biggest factor in Download speed of a torrent, is the number of high-speed university or corporate peers that have huge upload bandwidth.

I can download a 1GB torrent with such a peer, faster than a 100MB torrent with only peers connecting from a Home DSL line.

I have to say, I also noticed major speed issues in 1.2 for some reason.. Very well seeded torrents with lots of peers would only transfer with a rate around 50kb/s (I own a 8mbit connection). I decided to give 1.1.7 a shot, and now I am getting speeds like 200kb/s from the same tracker and almost the same torrents (with as many seeders and peers as before). I wonder what causes this?

strange results, 1172 seemed initially slower (left for an hour) then went back to 12 and it was slower than ever!... So done a router reset and another reboot, and 12 is extremely fast again!.. why.. I don't know :-/ Im sticking with 12.. But I appreciate that im lucky to not have said speed difficulties as others are :(

Well I'm experiencing the opposite of yours, uTorrent 1.2 is maxing out my 10mbps internet connection and I'm getting combined speeds of like 1MB/sec off public trackers:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4392/maxxx3yt.png :)

Well as the image shows this guy is downloading at 447.2 k while only uploading at 2.2k !!!! on one torrent, and similar on others

so if you were unfortuanate enough to be on the same torrent you would likely get abysmal speeds as leeches like this suck up all the bandwidth.

And you would start wondering about your settings, latest version of utorrent etc when they had nothing to do with the poor speeds your getting.

Archived