Confused about the number of connections

youthfire

I read the Guide about Network and confused by the number.

According to the Guide:

"TCPIP.SYS should be patched and you should never set it higher than 50! net.max_halfopen should ALWAYS be set lower than the value you patched tcpip.sys to"

My Question:Global maximum number of connections is the same meaning as net.max_halfopen? If it is right,according to the tips,the global maximum number of connections can't be more than 50? And once I always excute one torrent,just means the connection number of this one can't be more than 50? If not, what is the difference?

And why in advanced options,net.max_halfopen always keeping 8 if you dont modify it by urself? According to the Guide,8 means do 8 / 10 under the situation without TCPIP.SYS patched. I think it should be modified to the number of net.max_halfopen automaticlly.Am I right?

Confused by these number question for a long time. Any reply or help welcomed.

Global maximum number of connections is not the same as halfopen connections. Halfopen connections are like you making a phone call, but it hasn't been picked up on the other end. net.max_halfopen limits the number of those you can make at any given time, but does not limit how many fully-established connections (phone calls that are successfully picked up from the other end) you can make. net.max_halfopen is supposed to be 8 by default, and the global maximum number of connections is irrelevant to it.

So many THX for ur explanation. Got the difference between Global maximum number of connections & halfopen connections.

Still a question.When u choose XX/512K in speed guide,the Maximum Number of connected peers per torrent wil be set to 90.Since the value in TCPIP.SYS should be no more than 50,why give such a "90"? Any wrong conception from me?

• 4 years later...

If I start a torrent, µTorrent looks for connections (Seeds & Peers). If net.max_halfopen is set to 200, µTorrent will establish up to 200 halfopen connections, right? This means I can have up to 200 fully established connections that could be established from these 200 halfopen connections, right?

Archived