Problems Printing User guide

foreman1943

I've been trying to print out the FAQ and the Users Guide and I can't get it to fit on my page without missing some text. I've tried several things changing font size, landscape and nothing seems to let me see all of the text on my printout. I've never had this problem before and have printed out many trees of paper, but I can't get this one to work. What is my problem? Why can't I get all of the text to fit on a printout? I'm trying to printout the Utorrent Guide and FAQ.

Well try to print at least one page of it and you'll see what I'm talking about. I can't believe that no one else has had this problem. I can view it fine on my computer but when I go to print it the text runs off the page and I can't read all of it. I like to have a hard copy so I can review and tweak Utorrents on my system. I hope someone has an answer for me.

Well I'm using IE ver 6 and I tried Firefox Internet Explorer and it didn't make any difference. Still loose text on right side. Printer is a HP LaserJet 4 Plus with the margins set at .25. It doesn't matter if it is portrait or landscape, it still does not print all of the text. It looks fine on the computer screen but it does not print fine. When I go to print preview is shows that the text is missing and that is how it prints too. I've changed font size and still won't print all of the text. The print out is to the edge of the paper, it just doesn't print all of the text. It acts like the form is 100 or so characters wide instead of the normal 80. No matter what I do it will not print all of the text. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lord Alderaan I have tried both "Fit to Page" and "Shrink to Fit Page Width" in Firerfox and neither made any difference as far as my printout goes. Now I hope that you and Ultima understand the it does print but a lot of the text is missing. It prints to the end of the paper it just doesn't show all of the text in the printout. Even when I do landscape it still does not show all of the text. It prints to the end of the paper in landscape mode also, just not all of the text.

The ONLY way that I can get a printout of all of the text is to highlight the entire page by either hitting control A or right click my mouse and drag it down so that the entire page is highlighted. Then I can open note pad, which looks like sh__ or open Microsoft Word and paste it into there, which looks like it should NORMALLY look when you print out a web page. Like I said before, I have killed many a tree with all the printouts that I have done and NEVER had to do this.

So for anyone else who runs into this problem, you can do what I did and highlight the whole page, copy it, and then paste it into a word document or text editor. I definitely would recommend that you paste it into Microsoft Word since it looks just like the page is supposed to look.

Again I thank you for your input and stimulation that helped me to solve this problem. I hope that this solution will help someone else who has a problem printing a web page. :D =D

Foreman1943 Namaste

PerArne,

I assume that you meant Wordpad, and yes it works in Wordpad but it doesn't look nearly as good as it does in Microsoft Word. In Microsoft Word it look exactly as I see it on the screen before I attempt to print it. The only thing that still puzzles me, even though I was able to get the results I wanted is WHY did I have to do that? It should have been a simple printout like 99.99% of the other things that I have printed out. Was this written in Linux or some other language or format that it didn't conform to a windows standard or what? Just curious as to why I had this problem. I got the results that I wanted so I'm happy with that. I'm just a curious person I guess. :rolleyes:

I was thinking about MS Word and most people probably have it. I have had same problems from time to time (probably with other web sites). I'm not as curious as you are (anymore) and jump easily to Word. I even find Word better in cases with several pages as it is easy to merge into one document.

But the cure in this case: I have no clue.

@foreman1943: Linux isn't a language of any sort -- it's an alternative operating system, like Windows. In any case (even though it doesn't make a difference what OS I wrote the manual in), the manual was written mostly using Windows. As for exactly what language I wrote it in, it's written in perfectly valid XHTML 1.1 -- CHM files don't have to be (and aren't) in some kind of Windows standard as far as the actual contents go. I realize IE might have some problems with XHTML pages, but again, I haven't seen such issues here.

Ultima,

IE has no problem viewing the Users Guide. I looked at it in IE, MSN, Firefox, and AOL. I have all 4 of them on my computer. All of them view it PERFECTLY. The only problem I had was when I tried to print a hardcopy of it. All 4 browsers worked fine for viewing it, but none of them would print it like it appeared on the screen, that is all I am trying to say. I was able to get a PERFECT hardcopy when I copy/pasted it into Microsoft Word. So I'm very happy now. I just want to know why I had to do that. No big deal, nothing to get all upset about. Just was curious as to the printing problem. Problem is now solved. I wasn't trying to put anyone down, I just thought it was a simple question with a simple answer. I apologize if I got anyone upset.

Humbly,

Foreman1943

Ultima,

Thank you very much for your honesty. I appreciate it when someone is honest with me. Keep up the good work. You're a very good moderator.

Foreman1943 Namaste

PS Ultima,

I found another way to print this out without going to Microsoft Word. What I normally do when I print a hard copy of something I go to file then print preview. There you can see all of the document by clicking on the arrow tabs to view all the pages. So what I normally do is click to the end and see if the last page has any pertinent info on it. If it does not they I go to the page tab and tell it to print everything except the last page. For instance, if it has say 10 pages and page 10 has nothing but header and footer on it, I'll tell it to print pages 1-9 and then it won't print page 10. This saves paper and well as a little bit of time.

But the fix for this is when you are in print preview mode to go to the margins and tell it 0 for both left and right margins. I had mine set at .25 and it would not work, but when I went to 0 left and 0 right margin it worked. But it still would not print out everything in portrait mode. I had to go to landscape mode and then it printed everything. Some extra work but then it does print the entire page without skipping text on the right side. Crazy isn't it?

I hope this helps someone else who has had a printing problem like I did.

Foreman 1943 Namaste

Archived