0 out of 116 seeds

acrobat

Hello everyone, I am having an issue with my downloads. I am using uTorrent with a 2mb connection.

Speed is generally very good, and on popular torrents, I sometimes reach speeds of 200kB/s and even a bit higher which is the maximum for this connection. Generally its around 100kB/s or so which seems good to me.

But today I am having a problem with a couple of downloads. Nothing has changed as far as I know. I have one download which is currently running at 0kB/s. It has downloaded 90% slowly, but now its stopped. There is 1.994 available, so it should be able to finish. But its showing that out of 116 seeds, I am connected to none of them. Occasionally it will connect to one of them and give me a few kB/s for a few minutes. I have another download running too which has 3 seeds and is connecting to just one of them. Luckily it is connecting to 14 out of 35 peers though, so its still moving atleast.

Could anyone help me fix this problem please? This seems uncommon for me, because usually it connects to a good number of seeds and peers and usually has very good download speeds. But today, these couple of torrents are not moving properly.

I tried researching it on the net, and the only thing I could find was a patch which changes the TCPIP.sys file to allow more connections. But I was wary to download it because it gives a virus/spyware warning and some people say its not actually a virus, but I'm still wary, and I'm also wary of screwing up my system.

Thanks in advance.

----edit----

Sorry I missed some info:

1) Little green light indicates port is ok. I set that up and when I do the port check it is ok.

2) Speed guide suggests: 100 connections per torrent // 750 global connections // upload limit 186.

My settings are pretty close to that. I use 60 connections per torrent, and 500 global connections.

3) ISP is Virgin Media (2mb connection)

4) Router is a D-Link Dl-634M

the 2mb are very likely your DOWNloadspeed, and not your uploadspeed.

but for µT to function properly constantly, you need your UPloadspeed.

are you sure you have 2mb upload?

if yes, and you are absolutely sure that nothing has changed with your PC you side of the line, maybe your ISP started throttleing/blocking BT.

the TCPIP sys hack does NOT help to get faster speeds, it jsut changes the number how many hellos you can shout out in a given second, not from how many or how fast you can download.

Hey, no need to be rude, I can easily read what the program says, and what people here are telling me. If there is any misunderstanding here, its from you who thought I said I have 2mbit upload speed.. which I didn't.

Anyway, as for Ultima's question, I'm not sure I understand your question. The speed guide does not indicate what download speed you should choose. I just set mine a bit below what my max download speed is. (In other words, I set it to 225kB/s, seeing as I can actually get about 255kB/s).

But my download speed setting shouldn't be in question anyway. I often get very high speeds, but I just have a few torrents which are running slowly, and I'm assuming its because its only connecting to 1 seed out of dozens of seeds.

Thats why I came here - to hopefully find out why it may be only connecting to one seed out of many. I know it shouldn't be expected to connect to every seed, but usually it connects to atleast several or more.

1) Choose the upload speed appropriate for your connection from the list below. If you don't know, click the button to run a speed test to find out, and choose the one nearest to your actual upload speed.

The only factor that matters in setting µTorrent up is your upload speed. Download speeds are absolutely irrelevant. Selecting upload rates that are too high is (in general) detrimental to your cause, and can cause connection overload and the likes.

sorry, it wasn't my intention to sound rude!

I'm a lausy english speaker, but i can read the difference between UP and down. Thats why i used the word FOOL, you are still under the wrong assumption that the DOWN loadspeed is relevant.

It isn't.

ONLY UPloadspeed is important and thats what you need to set!

Thats what is everywhere written, and thats what we here were refering too. ;)

Again, no willfully intention to be rude on my part.

Download speed IS relevant. If I was on a 56k modem, then it would be very relevant if I was concerned about not getting fast speeds. So it was important that I explain I am on a 2MBit connection. I often get about 200kB/s download speed using uTorrent. So it was important to mention that, to demonstrate that this is only recently, and only a couple of torrents which are running at 0kB/s. In other words.... these slow speeds I am experiencing, are not typical.

As for my UPload speed, I have it set to 20kB/s. Which is 2/3rd's of my max (30kB/s). So that should not be a problem. And it hasn't been changed so its clearly not a problem seeing as I have had many downloads at about 200kB/s.

Basically, my speeds where excellent early in the week, and now they are bad. I'm guessing its either a bad couple of torrents, or something (windows update?) has screwed up. The only thing I can see which looks bad (besides the speed...) is that it isn't connecting to seeds very well. It connects to 1 out of 30 or more. Does anyone know why that may be?

wow, thank you for this.

It downloaded at 230kB/s and it connected to 21 out of 22 seeds. (It might have got better eventually but I just tried it for a minute or two). So that was excellent.

I have another torrent running now which is coming at a slow-average speed, and is connected to just 19 out 121 seeds. Is that normal? Are some seeds unable to be contacted? Do some torrents just work well like that OpenOffice, and some torrents dont work well? Is the connection to the seeds what this is all about - or just a small part? If so, why might I only connect to 19 out of 121 on some torrents, but 21 out of 22 on others?

Thank you in advance :)

now i will sound intentionally rude!!

why the hell do you keep asking stuff if you refuse to read and understand for fuck's sake!!

you opend this thread with the following information:

2) Speed guide suggests: 100 connections per torrent // 750 global connections // upload limit 186.

My settings are pretty close to that. I use 60 connections per torrent, and 500 global connections.

we told you that you are WRONG if you look up the xx/2MB value and if your settings are close to those suggested since 2 MB is NOT your Uploadspeed.

So for fuck's sake, Do not ask questions why you don't connect to others like you wish if you use WRONG SETTINGS!!!

:mad:

EOD

Er, settle down :|

@acrobat:

Reading comprehension problem: I never said download speed was irrelevant in its own right. If taken out of context, I did, but re-read sentence before that sentence. Notice how I was talking about setting µTorrent up.

We've been recommending that people follow the Speed Guide's suggestion (that is, to only bother looking at your upload rate) for the longest time now, and it's worked, for the longest time now. If someone has a 56k connection, then all they have to do is simply select Dial-Up (56k) in the Speed Guide. It still looks only at the upload rate for 56k connections.

Your connection can NOT handle that many connections, and you end up spending more time on peer communication overhead than you do actually transferring data. So do select the proper upload rate, or there's no point in you asking us for help -- I've never heard of someone asking for help, but not cooperating when they receive the help. Again, leaving your settings as they currently are is detrimental to your speeds.

As for your previous question, some torrents are slow because of slow peers and/or difficulty in connecting to fast peers -- there isn't much you can do about that, and yes, it's most-often normal. The OpenOffice.org torrents are fast because they're seeded by seeding boxes on fat pipes.

Ok I realise whats going on now. I saw xx and then 2mb in the speed guide and thought that was download speed, because usually you identify an internet connection by its download speed, and also I didn't realise upload speeds would be that huge. (it goes up to 100...)

So I wasn't "not cooperating" I just didn't realise I was doing something wrong. When you said "setting upload speeds that are too high etc...", I didn't know why you where saying it - because I didn't realise I had used the incorrect setting. If you had said, "Oh you dont have 2mbit upload? Then your upload settings are wrong", or something similar, I would have realised sooner. But you didn't. And the other guy just screamed at me the whole time - in broken english which doesn't make sense...

Luckily, my friend set up my connection anyway, so I'm not using the speed guide setting, although it seems he was over ambitious with 500 global, and connections per torrent was a bit low. I've fixed that now, although it doesn't seem a whole lot different, one of my torrents is still only finding less than 10 out of 20+ seeds.

Thanks anyway Ultima for helping me. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I won't come back here again.

if this english makes no sense to you and you interpret it as screaming the whole time, you might yourself need some tutoring in english!!eins1elf

the 2mb are very likely your DOWNloadspeed, and not your uploadspeed.

but for µT to function properly constantly, you need your UPloadspeed.

are you sure you have 2mb upload?

First sentence says 2mb is likely download not upload, I knew that already. Second sentence says "you need your uploadspeed" which makes no sense. Third sentence asks if I am sure I have 2mb upload, which I explained I don't. The logical next step would be to say, "Well you picked the wrong settings then". But you didn't do that, you just called me a fool and told me to learn to read.

You should probably leave the talking to other people, they all did much better than you. None of them where rude, they all made sense, and although Ultima mistakenly thought I was not cooperating, he helped me in the end. You on the other hand, did the opposite of those things.

you need * your uploadspeed

*to set

*to observe

*to choose

this way more oviously? (rhetorical question!)

You should probably leave the talking to other people,

yeah, will do that! will definetly not speak with you again. since you 4 day newbie oviously know better then us what is relevant for good speed and what not!

[...]you are still under the wrong assumption that the DOWN loadspeed is relevant.

It isn't.

Download speed IS relevant.

By your own assessment that your line can only upload at 30 KiloBYTES/sec max, you only have about 256 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth. That's only 1/8th of your download bandwidth's supposed max of 2 megabits/sec.

The "best" Speed Guide (CTRL+G) setting to match your connection is xx/256k, although I am convinced even it allows more connections max than necessary.

You can tweak the upload slots by checking the "use more if upload speeds are <90%" box. You might even be able to get away with running an extra torrent or 2 at once, BUT your download speeds (at least per-torrent) may even drop if you do so. To abide by the BitTorrent protocol rules, you need at least 1 KiloBYTE/sec of upload speed PER upload slot. So 5 upload slots and 5 torrents= 25 total upload slots is too much for 22 KiloBYTES/sec total upload speed.

For best results, 3-10 KiloBYTES/sec per upload slot seems to net faster download speeds on marginal torrents with few seeds and most peers peers are less than 50% completed.

On my connection, which can upload as fast as 42 KiloBYTES/sec, I've also found at least 3 upload slots are needed PER torrent to sustain upload speeds, with 4-6 upload slots seeming to give better download speeds due to uploading to more peers at once.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=244809#p244809

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=244884#p244884

I'd thought that these two responses had made it perfectly clear that the Speed Guide was only looking for the upload rate... I'm not sure why you prefer to do anything besides use the Speed Guide's upload settings. That your friend even bothered setting 500 global maximum connections makes me doubt any of the other settings (s)he might've set :\

REGARDING THE DISPUTE: No need for things to get out of hand. A misunderstanding here, a misunderstanding there -- happens all the time. At least acrobat figured his/her mistake out.

Archived