Port forwarding

Pwnage

Go to Networking Options and change the listening port. Then, on your router, forward that port to you computer's LAN IP address.

yup that's the biggest mistake people make - not forwarding the correct LAN IP in their router settings.

also it will show stealth if uttorrent is NOT open and you have UPnP checked. so make sure utorrent is up and running before you try the port check.

what's the make and model of your router?

when you go to http://192.168.15.1 is that your router's login? if so, that's not your LAN IP. but that's fine for now. log into your router.

to determine your LAN IP, do this:

Start > Run > type cmd and hit enter

type ipconfig and hit enter.

where it says IP address, remember that number, as it is your IP address on your network: your LAN IP.

once in your router settings, in the port forwarding settings, it will have a place to put in your LAN IP address on your network to forward the port to. put in the port (I use port 50000, but it doesn't matter what port you choose, as long as it's a high one), put in your LAN IP where it says, save the info, fire up utorrent.

then go to https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=XXXXX and replace the XXXXX with the port that you chose in your settings.. what does it say?

The IP you should be worried about is your internal IP on the LAN, and you're usually able to define set rules in the router about which MAC address gets what IP address. Otherwise, you can always disable DHCP and manually tell your connection to use a certain IP in your TCP/IP properties.

• 1 year later...

....."ive tryed forwarding them like it says but it dosent seem to work

http://192.168.15.1

i type that, then go to forwarding and do everything, click save and it says settings successful, but then when it goes back it dosent show utorrent there."

Hello Folks,

I am also having problem with port forwarding my Linksys RT31P2 router. Unlike the above poster, even after I followed the guide at http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/RT31P2/Utorrent.htm

all the way down to where I need to type in my IP, I didn't get the same result. Upon typing in my IP, clicked enter, I did not end up with what's show in the guide, but some links to stuffs on the internet relating to my IP. At this point, what should I do next to ensure that I will get what's shown in the guide?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Regards

I am also having problem with port forwarding my Linksys RT31P2 router. Unlike the above poster, even after I followed the guide at http://www.portforward.com/english/rout … orrent.htm

all the way down to where I need to type in my IP, I didn't get the same result. Upon typing in my IP, clicked enter, I did not end up with what's show in the guide, but some links to stuffs on the internet relating to my IP. At this point, what should I do next to ensure that I will get what's shown in the guide?

So under Application, you typed Utorrent.

Where it says "Start" just put in 50000 (or whatever port you want, but it should be over 50000). For End, put the same number you did for Start.

Protocol: Both

For the last number of the IP, you need to go Start > Run > type cmd and hit enter.

then type ipconfig and hit enter and you'll get the last digit needed for your IP address (listed under, appropriately, IP address). :)

Click the Enable box, then click Save. And that's it.

Then make sure utorrent is using the same port number that you specified.

Sorry, lament,

I am lost. I could follow what you were referring to when you said:

"So under Application, you typed Utorrent.

Where it says "Start" just put in 50000 (or whatever port you want, but it should be over 50000). For End, put the same number you did for Start."

Please kindly go over again.

Or maybe I was not being clear when I initially posted my thoughts. What I was trying to say was that by following the portforward guide, I got down to the following step:

"Open a web browser like internet explorer or Netscape. Enter the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser. In the picture above the address bar has http://www.google.com in it. Just replace all of that with the ip address of your router. By default the ip address should be set to 192.168.1.1."

So at that point, I opened up a new browser, in the address bar, I typed in my IP address, which where found from, as you suggested,

"For the last number of the IP, you need to go Start > Run > type cmd and hit enter.

then type ipconfig and hit enter and you'll get the last digit needed for your IP address (listed under, appropriately, IP address)."

Once typed, I clicked "enter", and the what came up after sever seconds and links to web articles related to my IP. This is where I am stuck.

Supposedly, I would be getting a window entitled "Enter Your Password", but I didn't. At that I couldn't continue.

So, again, my thick skull couldn't understand what you were trying to tell me. Please try again in more detail.

Regards

OK i'll make it really simple. :)

Start > Run > type cmd and hit enter. You'll get a black window with a command prompt.

type ipconfig and hit enter.

Where it says Default Gateway, write down that IP address - that is the IP of your router. Also note where it says IP address - that is your IP address on your network - write that down.

Open your web browser and type:

http:// then the IP address listed under Default Gateway in the black command prompt box. You're going to log into your router.

It should then prompt you for a username and password. Enter that information. If you've never setup a username and password for your router (which I hope to god you did when you first bought it and set it up), then leave the username field blank and put admin as the password.

Once you're in the Linksys control panel:

Click the Applications & Gaming link near the top of the page.

You should now see a new menu. In this new menu, click Port Range Forwarding.

From there, re-read my post above yours (I had already assumed you were in your router already).

"Enter that information. If you've never setup a username and password for your router (which I hope to god you did when you first bought it and set it up)"

oh goodness, I don't remember exactly what I did when the router first got hooked to my system.

Its a Linksys router, purchased through Vonage VOIP; I think it came already set up for my phone.

Anything I can do to access that password or get infor on such info?

Thank you very much.

there should be a small pinhole sized reset button on the back that will reset the firmware in the router. see your documentation to find that.

but keep in mind that it will reset any of your current router settings and you'll have to reconfigure the wireless settings for any computer connected wirelessly to your router.

Archived