Port forwarding problem/ help needed/ yellow triangle will not go away

alywishus

Hi , Hope someone can help. I get the yellow triangle telling me there is no incoming connection. However, I am getting upload and download albeit very slow, max 11kbps.

I have tried port forwarding as suggested, I have a sweex A router, nvidea nforce connection, firewall enabled but exempting utorrent. No matter what I do I cannot get rid of the triangle, I have been into config to get the right addresses, what I have found that might be relevant is my I.P. address is 10.0.0.12, when asked to use this address to connect to the sweex site it displays INTERNET page not found, if I type in 10.0.0.2 it connects and I get the boxes to input the address numbers. I am not very experienced with utorrent but I do know about computers, is there something I am doing wrong or does anyone have any ideas. I have seen somewhere that nvidea nforce has some kind of firewall, I do not know if I have it or where to look for it, could this also be the problem.

Incidental, I know it is not my computer at fault.

Hope someone can help, alywishus.

No incoming connections means you're firewalled such that nobody can out-of-the-blue connect to you. But since you ARE connecting to and downloading/uploading, then you aren't firewalled in both directions. It's like having a telephone that never rings. Nobody can "call" you, but you can dial out. But that means you cannot connect to anyone else who is firewalled (they never hear their phone ring either)...so your speeds likely are very low. (Roughly 70% of everyone are firewalled, the number is probably higher for broadband users due to router use and Win XP SP2's software firewall.)

Thanks for your reply Switeck, your explanation was very clear. One point though, I have the winxp firewall OFF, is there possibly another firewall that I do not know about that could be hiding in the background. I seem to recall when buying the sweex annexA router, the guy that installed it mentioned something about a built in firewall. I can build computers without any problem, start talking about firewalls and it is a foreign language to me. I will try and find out if the nforce firewall is installed, I have not come across it as yet so I do not think it is. Mind you, I have not got a clue where to look for it.

Is there any way I can get round the problem you explained without putting my computer at risk from hackers, any suggestions will be very welcome. Thanks Switeck, all the best alywishus.

I will really appreciate if somebody can help me out. I'm seeing this infamous yellow triangle, but I've already done port-forwarding and I'm seeing green ok message when I click on 'Test if port is forwarded properly' button. The message tell me I'm successfully done the port-forwarding, so I expect the yellow sign to vanish - which doesn't. Can anybody tell me what I can do (other than port forwarding) to get rid of the yellow triangle? Needless to say I'm having a very low traffic in presence of this yellow sign.

Thanks in advance.

Archived