Help i'm having trouble with the down/up speed's.

Tulock

i've read most of the topic's on this forum, but none of them seem to help with my problem.

I Currently have access to a computer which has a connection speed of 100mbps. They receive the connection through a Satilite dish. The computer which I have access to isn't connected through any of those router, because it recieves direct feed from the satilite dish.

Now the problem i'm haveing is that when I use utorrent to download something, it's really slow, I mean dial up speed slow, and sometimes even worse then that because it's constantly freezing and not being able to download. Now i've looked into the firewall and antivirus on the computer, and there's only a firewall which i've already got pasted, by making a port for utorrent to access through.

i've never seen the connection change green, most of the time it's yellow saying I'm not connected, and sometimes it's red saying I may be being blocked by a firewall. Now i've tried alot of stuff and it's starting to piss me off because of the speed, oh yeah I have to say when I download stuff off like the microsoft website it easyly goes at speeds of 250 - to 340kb/s....

oh yeah it's not a problem with the seed's and peers because what I was downloading had well over a 100 seeds.

i'm more or less thinking it's not accepting connections because of something that maybe on the satilite dish. Maybe a built in firewall or something, anyone have any idea's????

You may have a network speed of 100 megabits/sec, but that speed is certainly not sustained across the satellite link through your dish. Do note that file download speeds are in KiloBYTES/sec, while bandwidth measurement amounts are typically in kilobits/sec or megabits/sec. Also, upload bandwidth is likely a very tiny fraction compared to your download bandwidth. The satellite is a limited resource and you're almost certainly not the only one using it. Chances are, you cannot port forward a satellite either...well not legally anyway. :cool:

Too many connections at once will reduce your effective download speed. When downloading from a website, you're probably only downloading from a single ip source at a time. Adding a bunch at once only makes things faster if your connection is very fast and the other end is limiting speeds per connection.

You need to find out the rated and measured bandwidth amounts for your satellite link...both down AND up. Only then can you (or we) decide what settings might work best for you.

As for the bandwidth amount's I can say I don't know where to check for them.

And i'm pretty much the only one using it, becuase theirs a connection going to the office and the computer I be's on. and then theirs another line for the wireless network. Now as for the office, theirs no downloading allowed in that except for the employee's only comp, which is the one I'm trying to set up for downloading. Now I believe that the office is protected by a nortan anti virus, but it doesn't seem to be on this computer. The only thing that be's runing on this all the time is the disk moniter which could also cause me problems.

Now the name of the ethernet port that the connection is on is a 3com 3C920 intergrated fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C - TX Compatible)

Don't know if that'll help..?

ok I tryed the xx/96k setting but it says the max upload I can get is 7k. but it's still uploading at an average of 22.4kb/s. anyway I picked at the speed guide a bit, and set the connection speed to xx/768k. This setting seems to work better then the rest becasue on average I get around 5-14kb/s of down speed, while i've seen the upload go from 22-110kb/s sometimes, while the average is usually around 33kb/s now. This is with the red symbol down bottom saying that i'm not connected able.

So it has to be something to do with the dish or i'm forgetting about a router or something hidden in one of the walls. (I really don't fell like plastering new walls) have any Idea how I can access a router on the comp, or set it up using a junk/thumb/pen drive. whatever you call the little things..

If your upload speed in µTorrent isn't sustaining the max you set it to...either the torrent/s you're on are nearly dead (or you have little/nothing to upload) or you don't have as much upload bandwidth as you're trying to force µTorrent to use. And that will utterly kill your download speeds.

If µTorrent's upload speed is averaging about 33 KiloBYTES/sec, then you probably need to use xx/384k or even xx/256k setting in Speed Guide (CTRL+G).

yeah i've found the router that the line is passing through, the name on the side is a sunbeam, and I was told the satilite company providing the internet is esponent (mind the spelling) but I can't seem to find them on the internet.

Anyway the sun beam reciever/router could be stopping me or the internet company might have a block on useing certain programs for downloading... On the microsoft website it goes at over 300kb/s and when I download something off like another site it goes at 100kb/s (when it starts it's going at over 600kb/s but drops down to 100kb/s)

As for what I'm downloading now, it's uploading on average at 56kb/s and downloading on average at 9kb/s. Now my problem is, that I've downloaded like 1.27gb.s of it and yet i've uploaded over 4 gb's of it to people. How is that....? ( I don't ahve anything else seeding)

If you cannot sustain the upload speed you set, then you need to lower the max upload speed in µTorrent or your download speeds will suffer (immensely!) from overloads on the upload side.

You upload to more than 1 person, so it only makes sense that it is possible to have only a little of a torrent yet upload it a few times over.

Since you're firewalled, and probably always will be due to the nature of the satellite connection, you will ONLY connect to unfirewalled peers and seeds...which are far fewer in number than the firewalled ones and may not be the fastest either. Plus, their upload speed is split between every peer they connect to, both firewalled and unfirewalled...so how much they can give to you is less than a typical firewalled peer/seed could if you were unfirewalled yourself.

Your ISP probably also has fair-use rules, so even though you may be able to upload at max speed for a short while (such as a couple hours)...you're not supposed to run that max upload speed 24/7.

At the very least, since you haven't seen sustained upload speeds over 56 KiloBYTES/sec, then you almost certainly shouldn't use a Speed Guide setting faster than xx/512k.

To answer your earlier post, the only reason why I can think of that you're still uploading at 22 KiloBYTES/sec even when Speed Guide xx/96k setting says only 7 KiloBYTES/sec max is because you didn't actually hit "Use Selected Settings" at bottom after selecting it. Do note that the new speed change isn't completely instantaneous...but after 5-10 seconds speeds should adjust to match.

Still, try xx/512k setting first and see if that gives better overall results.

Yes I'd like to thank you for all your help and suggestion's. ( most of them were somewhat useful.)

But I got to say I got access to the router system. when morning by a fluke accident when I almost kinda crashed the computer, anyway the router apps poped up and I fiddle with them even though they were mostly locked out by a administator pass word. But I made it so that i'd get a green light in the connection, and an average of 20 kb/s on pretty much every torrent I've tried. Even the nones grasping for what little life they have left lol... ( with the speed set to xx/768k).

The only problem I have no is the firewall/router has no problem sending data becuase the upload speed is still outragously high, while now the download speed does not change much on average. even when I set the upload speed up or down.

THANK YOU ;)

Last minute details: I forgot to set the limit for the download and uplaod on the bandwidth alocation on the torrent. I've got my upload down to about the same thing asmy down which is like now between 15-78kb's. But it's alot more eratic then it was before.

• 2 weeks later...

Once Again i'm having trouble with the upload/download speed. And I didn't think it was right to start a new post so I'll just continue on this one.

Anyway as you know i'm using a lan connection provided through some sort of Sunbeam reciever form a satilite company called Exponent I beleive. they are hard to find.

Anyway I can't get connected anymore since the power flicked off from the other day, I don't know if it interfered with the receiver or the computer it's self. I have the speed set to 95k at the moment and I still get the yellow sign. The port i'm using is open and accepting connections, and I done a speed test at the site http://www.speedtest.net/ which got me the result's of 956Kb/s of download speed and 66kb/s of upload speed. Now from what I can tell it's the upload speed that's slowing it done becuase the anti-virus isn't blocking it, and windows fire wall is turned off.

The modem or ethernet port that it's connected through is a 3Com 3C920 intergrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible). And the router that it passes through I beleive it is a D-Link 512 or higher, but I've already set the gobal maximun connections to 200 to prevent any problems

I starting to think theirs is little I can do for the downloading, but if you have any idea's that may help let me know or if you need anymore information about it.

- EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed below

Pretty much everything you've told me to do. i've tried every speed setting including the 56k. I've even tried to set up my own lan network.

- Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

Mostly yellow

- What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 28208 on 208.114.161.70...

OK! Port 28208 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

- Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Windows XP Service Pack 2

- Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

Windows Firewall, So far no anti virus's left on the comp, no antispyware, or antiadware.

- Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

I believe the router is a D-link 512, and the modem is a 3Com 3C920 intergrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible). Since I get my internet access from a satilite internet it has to pass through a reciever, The name on the reciever is a Sunbeam but no serial numbers or anything else to describe it's model.

- ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

I use a internet connection from a company called Exponent.

- Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up),

Is probally DSL

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System 4

System Idle Process 0 91.18

utorrent.exe 1664

alg.exe 892 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 472 0.98 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

ctfmon.exe 124 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation

DPCs n/a 0.98 Deferred Procedure Calls

irdskmon.exe 3816 DiskMonitor MFC Application Navitex Technology Inc.

svchost.exe 720 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 772 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 836 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 884 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 956 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1860 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1828 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 692 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

IEXPLORE.EXE 1192 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

IEXPLORE.EXE 3864 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

IEXPLORE.EXE 2436 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

jusched.exe 3784 Java 2 Platform Standard Edition binary Sun Microsystems, Inc.

lsass.exe 552 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

MDM.EXE 1752 Machine Debug Manager Microsoft Corporation

notepad.exe 1496 Notepad Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 540 0.98 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

spoolsv.exe 1176 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

procexp.exe 3032 5.88 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

explorer.exe 2696 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 496 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

smss.exe 424 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

would of stuck a pic of it there but didn't know how.

Listing Process Explorer's output here as text is more useful anyway...I can copy and paste. :)

The only entry that was even a TINY bit odd was this:

irdskmon.exe 3816 DiskMonitor MFC Application Navitex Technology Inc.

...and it's probably a needed driver component for an external hard drive.

Your connection is really pathetic for broadband if it only has 66 kilobits/sec of upload bandwidth. That's 8 KiloBYTES/sec upload file transfer speed at BEST. Might your upload be higher at other times of the day/week? Did you re-run the Speed Tests while NOTHING else was using your internet connection...not even automatic updates of various programs or windows itself?

That means you really need to reduce max connections and connections per torrent...possibly even as low as 30 total.

And probably only run 1 (or at most 2) torrent at once.

Hopefully Ultima has more ideas, because I don't.

...Just that satellite connections are usually throttled to block/restrict file sharing even more than typical ISPs.

I can't really think of anything to try about how to get past the satillite connections blocking/restrict file sharing.

I took that speed test servall times with out anything else running and with the usual stuff I have going, and there's not much of a difference. It usually gives me 930kbps down speed and around 90 kbps up speed.

Archived