TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed XP SP2

Trix

It's just saying you've maxed out your half-open TCP connections and it is placing all the extras in a queue to be processed later (I believe it's 10 per sec unpatched).

It's not really an error message so much as just informing you what's happening. The reason behind the limit is to slow down worm/malware propogation although, to my knowledge, this hasn't been proven to have a positive effect. It's more of a minor nuisance to P2P and BitTorrent. Patching is typically unnecessary, but if the nagging eventlog gets to you, it's easy enough to patch.

1500 is still too high, the point of reducing it was to help stop the spread of worms and whatnot... What the hell do you need 1500 for? To connect to 100 peers in 50 msec? 100 is way more than enough, especially since you shouldn't be using more than 150 peers/torrent anyway ;p

Hmm... I guess I could patch. It just seems like a strange solution, very debatable, I mention patching to someone "You are stupid, Microsoft did it for a reason." or "SP1's limit was higher, so SP2 can be a bit higher, you won't affect anything."

Is there any reason why avast! finds a Trojan in the lvllord's patch? The one I downloaded a week ago and the one I just got from that link. :|

Someone tell me that is just a false positive, someone who sounds like they know what they are talking about! :P

Inac

its a false positive. Avast most likely check if the tcpip.sys is modified,

which it is when you use lvllords patch.

They possibly added that incase of future worms/viruses tries to modify the tcpip.sys.

Is there any reason why avast! finds a Trojan in the lvllord's patch? The one I downloaded a week ago and the one I just got from that link. :|

Someone tell me that is just a false positive, someone who sounds like they know what they are talking about! :P

Inac

I agree, it is a false positive - nevertheless, getting avast to leave the file alone is a pain.

Download 'XP-Antispy' - http://www.xp-antispy.org/

It uses the same code (with permission) to increase the connection limit.

Archived