I stopped utorrent use

RJB

i decided to stop using utorrent and stuff

I uninstalled it, but i still think other users are trying to access what i had on it (my firewall catches this) is there any way i can stop being a seed on some of the things i've downloaded and no longer have? Can i remove my IP from the list of seeds?

I would appreciate any sugestions.

If you've stopped that torrent, then your IP should be off the tracker in under an hour. You shouldn't be receiving any requests for that data, so you're thinking wrong in assuming your firewall is blocking stuff that was intended for BitTorrent traffic.

On a side note, this is exactly the intended effect of software firewalls - they raise a lot of alerts to stuff that's generally just internet noise to act like they're doing a great job at protecting you, when the best firewalls are the ones that are completely silent and block stuff as unobtrusively as possible.

Most BitTorrent clients record "seen" ips and try to reconnect to them periodically on that same torrent potentially for days/weeks. Typically after 2 weeks, connection attempt rates should drop to less than 5 a minute. This all depends on how busy and large the torrents you were running were. A very busy, (1000+ peers/seeds) very large (2+ GB) torrent might still contain peers/seeds trying to connect to you a month later. If they haven't gotten the torrent by then, poor them!

Archived