Question about connectivity and speed through two routers

MyIronLung

I just started using uTorrent, and as such, I'm pretty new to this. I followed the guide pretty precisely at portforward.com, yet my connectivity is still not there. As a result, my d/l speed hovers somewhere around 30k/s. Since my knowledge of the language is pretty small, I decided to do some reading on portforward, and it led me to believe that maybe the problem I'm having is being caused by having two routers instead of one, that is: the router that my internet company came in and set up (modem?), and my wireless router that my computer is connected to. It seemed logical to me that I would have to set up the port on the main router rather than the wireless router (please correct me if I'm wrong), which is the router I used when following the procedure on portforward.com.

Anyway, as per forum rules, here's some information:

The status icon is red with an exclamation point that reads "not connectable"

The port check reads as follows:

Error! Port 38256 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

I ran the speed test three times, with the following results

test 1: d/l-1435 kb/s u/l-373 kb/s

test 2: d/l-1676 kb/s u/l-368 kb/s

test 3: d/l-1621 kb/s u/l-367 kb/s

I've tried using xx/50Mbit and xx/40Mbit Connection Types, with the 50 being slightly faster, though my connection fluctuates a little being wireless, sometimes below 50Mbits. Dunno if that means anything.

I'm using Windows Xp, and I have the AVG free edition and the Norton Antivirus 2005 that you can download from Google.

My internet service provider is Bellsouth, and I'm using their DSL.

I'm using for the main router/modem/whatever a Wesdell device whose model number says: C90-610030-06 and a Motorola WR850G for my wireless router.

I also don't know how much this matters, but the portforward.com guide says to make sure that the box labeled "Enable UPnP mapping" (under preferences) is unchecked. I initially did this, and noticed that my d/l speed was slightly faster when I actually checked the box, so this is what I'm doing despite the directions.

Well, that's my info. Any help I receive is very much appreciated, thank you for your time.

Your LAN network may be very fast (50+ megabits/sec), but according to your speed readings that you posted here, your internet connection is on the low side -- with only about 1.5-1.6 megabits/sec down and 360-390 kilobits/sec up.

In Speed Guide (CTRL+G), the closest UPLOAD setting to your connection is certainly the xx/384k one. ...which is less than 1/100th of what you previously had selected!

You'll need to learn more so you can port forward probably the router AND modem.

Otherwise you will certainly stay firewalled in µTorrent.

If you're downloading about 40 KiloBYTES/sec in µTorrent, then you're already getting more than you're giving back. For that to happen, someone else gets the reverse.

Archived