Number of DHT peers??

runrunrun

they use router.bittorrent.com as the initial bootstrap, I believe. were this to go down at any point, the bootstrap could be changed (it's only needed the first time you connect to DHT), or a node could be provided in the .torrent itself

I see, in that case I assume router.bittorent.com is being hardcoded in the .torrent and also become the single point of failure like the tracker node although it only required for the initinal connection. I wonder how router.bittirent.com can handle such a huge amount of traffic because ALL DHT aware clients will make a single connection to it every time they startup or eveytime they load up a DHT only torrent?

It's not hardcoded into the torrent, it's hardcoded into the client. The .torrent itself can specify a different IP to bootstrap, or even moer than one. Also, they only bootstrap the first time the client is run, not every single time, because it stores all the nodes it found and/or connected to (except ones that failed) and can use those to re-integrate itself into the network. If ALL the nodes it knew about failed (highly unlikely), a new node could be specified in the .torrent, or it could check router.bittorrent.com again. If router.bittorrent.com was permanently down and the client knew of no nodes, a client could be changed to use another bootstrap, especially if the option is given to the user, or get one from a .torrent if it was available (which would probably be a better idea)

The status bar shows the number of other DHT nodes you're connected to directly. The 440 shows the number of peers that you received from the DHT nodes that are downloading/seeding the torrent you're downloading. The 440 might not necessarily be considered DHT nodes to your client, but you did get their IPs from DHT (hence why it tells you that you got them through DHT).

It's not hardcoded into the torrent, it's hardcoded into the client. The .torrent itself can specify a different IP to bootstrap, or even moer than one. Also, they only bootstrap the first time the client is run, not every single time, because it stores all the nodes it found and/or connected to (except ones that failed) ...

Very clear, thanks Firon for the explanation!

• 2 years later...

Archived