Anyone else have better speed with older versions?

KungFuGrip

I finally had enough tonight. Over 1000 seeds and almost 2000 peers on this torrent, and after downloading over 50%, I could only connect to 1 peer. And if it hadn't been for a few really nice connections, I wouldn't be any more than 10% done. While monitoring the download, I never saw myself connected to more 3 or 4 seeds and peers. And it hasn't been just this torrent. I've had problems ever since I upgraded to 1.6.1. I've tried everything I could think of and everything that I saw recommended in order to get more connections.

So tonight, after seeing my torrent go from an ETA of less than 2 hours to 7 weeks and climbing, I went to oldversion.com and grabbed version 1.3, which is what I had used before 1.6.1. Suddenly, I'm connected to 41 seeds and 34 peers and my download should be done in no time. I don't know what it was about 1.6.1, but I'm sticking with 1.3 from now on.

So as a suggestion to anyone else dealing with some speed/connection frustrations, try a little downgrade and see what happens. It's done wonders for me so far.

I was having a similar problem and did the same thing as you and viola, problem solved. From an average of 1-10 seeds on a 300+ seed tracker to 50+ seeds. From 10-70kb download max to 300+. I'm not sure how severe the network code changes are but my lord, the older version(s) are just beastly.

The newer version uses MORE aggressive settings which overloads many connections...so if you don't use fewer connection max and lower half open limit you can get terrible speeds.

Also DHT, UPnP, and resolve ip/show country flag just KILLS many networking hardware and software. The older versions didn't have all that.

I mean in terms of the half open connection rate. v1.6 and later will hammer near the maximum rate almost constantly, while earlier versions only occasionally peaked at those values.

DHT, UPnP, and resolve ip/show country flag will need to be disabled to test.

Basically, you need to do the complete "Internet Interruption or Slow Speeds?" by Ultima.

Link here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

All of you have definite problems, and either you can go back to earlier versions and hope they go away...or you can resolve the problems and gain the benefits of the later versions.

There's also the possibility of virus/trojan/spyware causing issues...

@Switeck at least i and i believe all members with experiebce hear have made these adjusts from earlier versions

DHT, UPnP, and resolve ip/show country flag will need to be disabled to test =ok

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 read

There's also the possibility of virus/trojan/spyware causing issues:

not an isue i use kaspersky with persmisionns for utorrent

and i have problem only with the latest 1.7 beta vesrion so i returned to 1.61 is there a way to resolve the download speed problems and use 1.7 ?

My bad Ultima, I meant µTorrent's improved/increased half open usage since v1.5 though.

...I wouldn't be surprised if Insight BroadBand is doing something evil again.

In Ultima's link, there is a line that says: "IF NONE OF THE THINGS LISTED BELOW HELP, provide us with the following information..."

Without some info, we cannot conclude it's not just gremlins in your computer.

so for better understanding should or not be a complete guide for ver 1.7 because for a use r to stast search the entire site fore tips it is very confusing

since the authors of utorrent m,ade a huge effort to work utorrent with vista the somehow must be a complete detailed guide with steps

i dont have install the 1.7 version any unistall it because my speeds droped and i see that there are other users with the same problem

after all why downgrade when mayby it is a simple matter of adjust p.x global connections or half-open connections

by deafault the 1.7 version ought to be better than 1.61

Well, I can't really answer for Ultima, but he doesn't have to justify anything. You downloaded the 1.7 beta, and betas aren't guaranteed to be stable nor reliable. If they were, they wouldn't be betas.

However, I don't see more than a handful of users having serious problems with 1.7. There are bugs, but that's what the development cycle is for.

yes

sargezt sure you have 100 % right i don meant to be agressive maybe my english isnt so accurate

my meaning was that if the new beta versions like 1.7 has changes in adjustments

there must be a guide because these new version is for vista

and the problems with vista are already to much to handle by a simple user and also

there are problems regarding speed with the new beta versions and others users a i have see

have also i have the same problem and i return to 1.61

Ultima soorry for my english

@rexdimos: Heh after having helped you for so long now, I'm already aware your English isn't perfect :P I have no explanations as to why 1.7 doesn't work for you, but for many/most people, it is working perfectly (albeit with some quirks). 1.7 runs just like any previous version in terms of speed, as far as I can see.

Again, there is no guide for Vista because there is no changes to be made to use it under Vista, as all changes for Vista compatibility have been under-the-hood. You can look around the interface all you want, but there is no new option to select or change, because they should all behave identically on whatever version of Windows you're using.

Have you started 1.7 on a clean slate by clearing settings.dat?

@Ultima thanks for the understanding

yes i have started on a clean slate i have learned these lesson only i have not uninstall 1.61 i just delete settings.dat and then install 1.7

but the new update 1355 seems to work just about right thanks

two questions only enable local peer discovery?these a tes or no?

and allow simple incoming connections yes or no ?

@rexdimos: Local peer discovery isn't absolutely essential, and should probably be disabled unless you actively transfer data between computers over LAN with BitTorrent (otherwise , µTorrent is doing more work than it needs to tring to detect which peers are local). I'm not sure what you mean by "simple incoming connections."

@Ultima so i must uncheck Local peer discovery?

simple incoming connections." these is in the same adjustments page with Local peer discovery

at the botom with protocol encryption that it must be enable aftewards says incoming connections etc this must be enable?

Archived