False disk overload

martix

Well I'd guess it doesn't have anything to do with adding new torrents. Its dependent on speed - anytime I set it to unlimited it does that... upload speed falls, DL spikes and falls also to snail pace. But if I limit speed this doesn't happen.

And this happens whether I added it just now or has been going for whatever time...

P.S. Also - cache settings:

cachesettingsqx9.th.jpg

Eh? The write cache itself never causes more overload. <-- stupidity/blindness/whatever on my part

@matrix: What should be disabled are all of those sub-options you have checked for both the read and write caches. Disabling "Reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed" and enabling "Increase automatic cache size when cache thrashing" might help matters as well.

10-20K/s? My 386 can hash and store that without an overloaded problem... it's 40K/s that problems start happening. =D

WTF though? Are you actually USING a 386sx? Nothing, not even dvd-burning or anything like that, could ever cause a bottleneck that severe. Doesn't make sense. Have you modified any advanced options?

No...

Bah. I have absolutely no idea whats happening. I even crashes sometimes, freezing windows along with it. I'm beggining to think that the program is not so great anymore...

Ok, thats that. I did a little bit of testing. It seems the problem occurs when adding a new torrent only a lot more persistent. There was something in the faq about it, only there it said it will go away in a few minutes. Waited half an hour - well it doesn't! What it usually does is produce these spikes:

weirdad3.jpg No matter how much I limit speed(as you see from the graph).

What usually fixes the problem is closing the program(waiting some 3-5 minutes for it to terminate the process). Then restarting - a couple of times. And then no matter if everything is going ok, if I add a new torrent it fills the cache(tested with 16-256MB cache) and I get another bottleneck producing the same graph as above. And processor is 3.4GHz Pentium D. I'd guess its no problem even if I wanna DL/Burn DVD's and watch a movie at the same time - tried it, once it gets out of that jam I can do all that stuff at the same time with no problems...

Edit: Btw disabling write cache overall actually fixes the problem entirely!

Archived